Tennessee transfer big man Tobe Awaka has committed to Arizona!

Started by WILD, April 29, 2024, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Tennessee transfer big man Tobe Awaka has committed to Arizona!

Tobe Awaka 6'8 250LB rising junior forward had been a staple of the Vols' post rotation the past two seasons. Awaka averaged 5.2 points and 4.6 rebounds in just 13.1 minutes per game this past season. Huge addition to the front court for Tommy Lloyd and Arizona!

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/status/1784960833014862230

KansasCityCats

Great addition from a role-player that can provide some depth in the front.

If Lloyd can add one more piece to the backcourt, Arizona should be ready to roll in 2024-25.

CactusCat

"You guys over estimate how smart i am ." -t. lloyd

lsg_da_apache

KansasCityCats

Awaka is a guy that will work his ass off and play tough, regardless of the situation.  The most impressive stat is that his FT% increased by 28% when he shot 74.2% as a Sophomore.

He knows his role and doesn't attempt 3-pointers.  The big body should be able to help with depth, assuming he doesn't play out of control and foul opposing bigs.

Jdmarti

This seems like a good pickup, he had good stats for playing 13 mins game.

I hope arizona  brings in a backup pg.
 Unless tommey is planning  on playing  minutes  this year.

mvpreed2

Welcome to the family that is Arizona Tobe!

Now that he is committed, here is my updated (projected) starting five for 2024-25:

G: Bradley
G:
F: Townsend
F: Awaka
C: Krivas

I am going to assume Lloyd is going to be bringing in another SG prospect to fill in that spot, but at this point, he could just plug in Lewis/Phillips or Sanon since he would be surrounded by so many upperclassmen in the lineup.
#BearDown
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

Quote from: mvpreed2 on April 30, 2024, 03:12:20 PMWelcome to the family that is Arizona Tobe!

Now that he is committed, here is my updated (projected) starting five for 2024-25:

G:

I am going to assume Lloyd is going to be bringing in another SG prospect to fill in that spot, but at this point, he could just plug in Lewis/Phillips or Sanon since he would be surrounded by so many upperclassmen in the lineup.
#BearDown

Agreed that Lloyd will bring in some type of combo guard.

Bradley, Lewis, Carter, Townsend and Krivas are the 5 that I envision as starters with Sanon coming quickly off the bench (or swapping with Lewis).

mvpreed2

Quote from: KansasCityCats on April 30, 2024, 03:28:42 PM
Quote from: mvpreed2 on April 30, 2024, 03:12:20 PMWelcome to the family that is Arizona Tobe!

G:

#BearDown

Agreed that Lloyd will bring in some type of combo guard.

Bradley, Lewis, Carter, Townsend and Krivas are the 5 that I envision as starters with Sanon coming quickly off the bench (or swapping with Lewis).

You believe that Lloyd would bring in a transfer and not start him?
I do not think Lloyd has brought in a transfer that was not a starter, with Bradley being an anamoly.
I believe Lloyd may have told Bradley he would have the chance to compete for the spot.

2021-22: Aiken & Kier
2022-23: Henderson & Ramey
2023-24: Bradley/Johnson & Love

#BearDown
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

We haven't had multiple blue chip prospects simultaneously recruited into Lloyd's system. It's hard to prevent at least two of the freshmen from starting at the wing position.

Even if Lewis gets the nod at SG, I think Lloyd may play small ball and put Bryant at the 4 because it's hard to justify keeping him off the court. The kid is ridiculous.

mvpreed2

Quote from: KansasCityCats on April 30, 2024, 03:55:39 PMWe haven't had multiple blue chip prospects simultaneously recruited into Lloyd's system. It's hard to prevent at least two of the freshmen from starting at the wing position.

Even if Lewis gets the nod at SG, I think Lloyd may play small ball and put Bryant at the 4 because it's hard to justify keeping him off the court. The kid is ridiculous.
I understand everything that you are saying.
My assumption on the starting lineup is VERY fluid.

I have versions where there are three different SG (Lewis/Phillips/Sanon).
I have versions where there are two different SF (Bryant/Townsend).
I have versions where they were three different PF, but now four (Amaka/Bryant/Townsend/Veesaar).
The only two positions I believe are set in stone are PG (Bradley) and C (Krivas).

Everything else is in the air, which is a good and bad thing, especially when you add in the notion that Lloyd is still going to bring in another G prospect that could fill that void left by Love.
#BearDown
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

Definitely. Veesaar will likely play a lot of Center and Townsend will get a few minutes as well, when we play a fast lineup.

Between Lewis/Sanon/Bryant, 2 will always be on the floor simultaneously. Phillips will rotate as a combo guard and hopefully Conrad earns some backup time at the point.

It'll be a ridiculously athletic team. Hopefully we'll establish a few consistent shooters.

mvpreed2

Quote from: KansasCityCats on May 01, 2024, 05:23:15 AMDefinitely. Veesaar will likely play a lot of Center and Townsend will get a few minutes as well, when we play a fast lineup.

Between Lewis/Sanon/Bryant, 2 will always be on the floor simultaneously. Phillips will rotate as a combo guard and hopefully Conrad earns some backup time at the point.

It'll be a ridiculously athletic team. Hopefully we'll establish a few consistent shooters.
I would rather give all of his (Martinez) minutes to Phillips.
He is not a bad PG, his floor is a lot higher than most.
You know exactly what you are getting, but his ceiling is a lot lower than any prospect coming in this season.
Depending on how the SG minutes shake out, give the PG2 reps to Lewis or Phillips.
No, they are not PGs, but with the way Lloyd likes to play, as long as the defense is stout, it does not matter who is at PG because it becomes a track meet.
#BearDown
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

Yup, Lloyd will likely have four "athletes" on the floor at a time and will play a lot of positionless basketball, with the exception of one big in the post.  The good news is that everybody is at least 6'3" and they can guard multiple positions.  Can't wait to see how the minutes are distributed.

WerderBremen

As mentioned a couple of days ago, Awaka played with Bam in the U19 world cup last year. He had the second most minutes, by far the most rebounds, best field goal percentage and second most points in team USA. Overall he finished second in rebounding in the tournament with 10.6 in just 21 minutes of play. The French guy who was just barely ahead of him played 7 more minutes. Odd stat, he had no assists in all seven games.

KansasCityCats

I thought it was odd that his turnover rate is high and he rarely assists.  Lloyd will teach him to kick it out if the double-team collapses.  Thanks for the international stats; lots of upside here!