2023 international star Thierry Darlan talks Arizona visit

Started by WILD, February 06, 2023, 07:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Thierry Darlan is arguably the top prospect remaining on college boards in the 2023 class.

He's a 6-foot-6 shooting guard out of the NBA Africa Academy with a 7-foot-2 wingspan and dynamic shot-making ability.

Recently Darlan completed an official visit to Arizona and over the weekend at the National Prep Invitational he spoke with 247Sports one-on-one to recap his time on campus and the next steps in his recruitment.

"It was very good experience for me," he said of his visit to Arizona. "I visited the different parts of campus and ...

Full story below
https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/status/1622632037860376576
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/2023-international-star-Thierry-Darlan-talks-Arizona-visit-and-next-steps-204311753/

ZonaBBB

Anyone know any inside scoop on Darlan?  Is he leaning Zona, Pro, or Santa Clara?

WerderBremen

KansasCityCats

It would be nice to have Darlan and Lewis replace Ramey and Henderson.  I'm sure Bal would get a nice bump in minutes and our backcourt wouldn't skip a beat...

Zona Nation

Quote from: ZonaBBB on February 07, 2023, 04:59:03 AM
Anyone know any inside scoop on Darlan?  Is he leaning Zona, Pro, or Santa Clara?
Some people are claiming it's between Arizona and the g League
BTFD!

mvpreed2

Darlan ended up choosing the G-League Ignite over Arizona and Kansas.

This is becoming a double-edged sword for a some elite programs around the country.
On one hand, you (coach) don't have to worry about the prospect having a "one foot in" type of mentality.
On the other hand, this is a prospective 5* prospect that will not be on the college landscape at all.
It was bad enough that prospects were going overseas for that year before entering the NBA Draft, now elite programs have to deal with the G-League Ignite as well?
Most will not be hurting, but the trickle down effect is only going to continue to separate the haves from the have nots a lot more.
#BearDown
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

I love the fact that the G-League provides an option to the kids that don't care about college.

Our current Arizona roster WANTS to be in Tucson and it shows when they have the team mentality on the bench and in the locker room.  These Cats have a tight bond, unlike the Stanley Johnson, Grant Jerrett and Jerryd Bayless 5* recruits of the past.

mvpreed2

Quote from: KansasCityCats on March 06, 2023, 10:36:37 AM
I love the fact that the G-League provides an option to the kids that don't care about college.

Our current Arizona roster WANTS to be in Tucson and it shows when they have the team mentality on the bench and in the locker room.  These Cats have a tight bond, unlike the Stanley Johnson, Grant Jerrett and Jerryd Bayless 5* recruits of the past.
I remember hearing it wasn't Jerrett specifically that was a problem.
It was someone in his camp, which led to Miller playing his hand, and then that person telling Grant to leave Arizona.
The sad part is I believe he could have actually done something at Arizona.

As for Johnson, I remember reading somewhere that he wanted to return to Arizona for his sophomore season in 2015, but Miller ushered him out of the door (which I agree with),

As for Bayless, that was long before my fanaticism with the fan boards started, but I do remember him never LOOKING like he was enjoying himself.
I believe I read somewhere about him not being happy about the new NBA ruling, and he would have entered the NBA Draft out of high school had the ruling remained as is.
#BearDown
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

I don't have any animosity towards the OND players.  They did what's best for their careers and I'm glad that they were able to represent Arizona at the next level.  Bayless, definitely loves the university, Stanley was a beast and Jerrett was definitely steered in the wrong direction.

Regardless, all three just used the program as a stepping stone and if we can bring in more long-term players that want to develop their game and win titles, we'll be in a better place.  There's a reason that mid-majors have been regularly upsetting the blue-bloods in the tournament over the past two decades: experience.  If you can retain upperclassmen that were 4* athletes, you're set up for consistent success.

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu