Transfer Portal Question

Started by KansasCityCats, April 17, 2024, 07:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KansasCityCats

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2024/4/16/24132616/arizona-wildcats-football-dj-warnell-ncaa-transfer-portal-defensive-back-spring-practice-2024

Warnell is still with the team, despite putting his name into the portal?  What is the standard procedure when a kid asks to become uncommitted to his current university?

Hopefully, the NCAA enacted a rule that you can immediately revoke a scholarship and prevent somebody from abusing your facilities, gyms, food plans, etc. while he's searching for a "better" destination.  If the student athlete can't remain loyal, they shouldn't have the ability to enjoy the perks of a school that they're ready to abandon.

Arizona could still allow him to stay but I wonder how the language is phrased, to handle these situations on campus.  Glad I'm not the coach because I wouldn't have compassion, unless there's an excepted circumstance (family/health issues).

Little George

He has talked with the staff.
He is much like where Big Bill Norton was. Last year of eligibility and not a draft prospect. In this case also not a starter. IF someone will pay him to play, why not?
I am not so sure Big Bill would have started this year either.
Either way, the D rotates the line and DBs often. Plenty of PT.
He is just testing the waters like he would do in the draft.
He is also not practicing with the ones.

KansasCityCats

Thanks for clarifying.  I completely understand the situation with Warnell.  I was just curious about the typical procedure with other programs that have wavering players and whether there's an unwritten rule, regarding the scholarship.

BearDownU - Menu