Arizona softball coach Mike Candrea announces his retirement after 36 years

Started by WILD, June 07, 2021, 11:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Arizona softball coach Mike Candrea announces his retirement

"It has been an honor to represent the University of Arizona for 36 years," said Candrea. "I am indebted to every player, coach and member of my support staff that has made the Arizona softball experience one that I will cherish forever. When I arrived in 1985, I wanted to build a culture of excellence and compete consistently at the highest levels of Division 1 softball. Most of all, our goal was to prepare our student-athletes for life after softball and build relationships that would last a lifetime."

With the Hall of Famer's official retirement as head coach of Arizona Softball on Monday, the all-time winningest coach in the history of the sport begins to pen a new set of chapters of his story.

Story on Candrea below
https://twitter.com/ArizonaSoftball/status/1401947125844381696
https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2021/6/5/softball-coach-mike-candrea-an-appreciation-to-the-standard.aspx

CANDREA'S HALL OF FAME CAREER

• NCAA softball leader in wins (1,674)

• On April 19, 2019, became the fastest coach in NCAA history, any division, any sport, to accumulate 1,600 wins.

• Fifth-most Division I victories of any coach in any sport.

• Has led Arizona to eight national championships, more than any coach in NCAA Softball history.

• Arizona has made 24 trips to the Women's College World Series in his tenure, missing just eight times in the last 32 years.

• Under Candrea, Arizona has a spectacular postseason record of 178-65. The Wildcats have played in an NCAA-record 34 consecutive postseasons.

• Fifty-three All-Americans with a staggering 108 total citations have played in the program since Candrea took over.

LEGEND!

KansasCityCats

Not only did he build the program from the ground up...he ensured that Arizona was on TOP throughout his entire tenure.

Hope he truly enjoys retirement with his family, friends and former players!

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu