Cincinnati puts up 93

Started by arxpert, November 22, 2022, 12:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCBAddict

Quote from: Jav on November 22, 2022, 09:58:49 AM
Run out of the gym in the second half?  Did you even watch the game?  That was easily a 15 point win that the end of the bench turned into an 8 point win in 90 seconds at the end of the game.  Your analysis is terrible.  I sure hope nobody listens to you.
Spot on.

thrillamanilla

Looks like our resident basketball savant arxpert finally got through to Tommy and the fans with this thread.  If it wasn't for his uncanny insight we would certainly have lost the Maui Invitational.  Here Here.  ::)

FOOS

Quote from: thrillamanilla on November 23, 2022, 07:04:07 PM
Looks like our resident basketball savant arxpert finally got through to Tommy and the fans with this thread.  If it wasn't for his uncanny insight we would certainly have lost the Maui Invitational.  Here Here.  ::)

Touche !!

arxpert

Quote from: thrillamanilla on November 23, 2022, 07:04:07 PM

Proven 100% correct. The blueprint is out. Pelle is attacked early and often. Foul trouble. Benched. Not offensively productive enough to justify a starting role. The bench suffers early coming in forced as opposed to in proper rotation. All can be solved by moving Pelle to the 6th man role.

Another 2nd half loss and run out of the gym. Just barely enough to eek out a victory luckily. Poor game management at the end of that game as well. Lucky that Creighton expected us to be much better with end of game strategy such as running out the clock to under 2 seconds as opposed to shooting with 8-12 seconds being baited into it as well as on the final possession when we should have fouled, but got lucky that the big entered the arc and stopped dribbling instead of taking an easy dunk with 5-6 sec left if he did. Creighton was shocked into making their own mental error as a result.

Pelle proving me 100% correct, Least valuable player of the tournament by far. Hope he can turn it around or Tommy won't have a choice, but to move him to the bench and not for the right reasons.

Onward and Up

WerderBremen

It is almost impressive how you can write insanely dumb stuff on such a consistent basis. Congrats to the -400.

-500 coming up in record speed.

KansasCityCats

How many games did we LOSE under the previous staff as a result of poor coaching and time management?  The number is disappointingly high.

Regardless of whether a Top-10 team scored more points than Arizona in the second half...we held on and WON.

BTW, the calls against Pelle were garbage. He played solid defense.

AZip

e while Cincy missed just enough shots to not score over 100 themselves........MAYBE....Just maybe it was our "D" that caused this!!
A Z i p

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on November 25, 2022, 05:47:47 AM
How many games did we LOSE under the previous staff as a result of poor coaching and time management?  The number is disappointingly high.

Regardless of whether a Top-10 team scored more points than Arizona in the second half...we held on and WON.

BTW, the calls against Pelle were garbage. He played solid defense.

I reserve the right to discuss this sentiment at a much more reasonable and accurate level when Tommy Lloyd has 10 years under his belt.

Although I will say Year 2 of Miller's tenure was one of the best year's in Arizona basketball history. Put the program back on the map and did it 100% organically. No reason Tommy can't emulate that and make an Elite 8 this season. It's actually the minimum expectation overall. Anything less than that would indicate there is a problem with Tommy's coaching in the March Madness format unless we suffer a terrible injury. I don't think any team in the nation is de facto better than us at anything specifically.

However I will remind everyone this is still College Basketball, not the NBA. We saw in Maui that at anytime a player like Pelle can be completely neutralized into obscurity by opponents strategies and if a ref crew wants to they can take players out of games.

We are going to win and lose on our own terms 99% of the time. That is something that Miller and Lloyd have in common thus far. Miller's teams were rarely flat out beat when it was at the highest level. 1 or 2 basket losses was a big reason for no Final 4s.

Losing to Buffalo and Wichita happens. Houston demolished us last year on a much bigger stage. I would argue that the Houston loss was worse than any loss Miller's teams suffered because it was a 1 seed and barely scraped by a 9 seed with a Herculean final shot to complete a crazy comeback by Mamba Mathurin and lucky that "Big Eddy" Lampkin got hurt.

If we ever got or get clipped by someone having a One Shining Moment, so be it. That's why the Pac12 Conference Banner and Conference Tournament are always more important and a higher priority to win consistently.

KansasCityCats

I'd rather lose on a much bigger stage to a program that is currently ranked Top-2 nationally, as opposed to falling to a "nobody" in the first round.

If we are comparing "year to year", does Lloyd get a pass to be average in Year 3 of his tenure?  I doubt you'd withhold criticism if we lose in the first round of the NIT.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on November 25, 2022, 03:08:30 PM
I'd rather lose on a much bigger stage to a program that is currently ranked Top-2 nationally, as opposed to falling to a "nobody" in the first round.

If we are comparing "year to year", does Lloyd get a pass to be average in Year 3 of his tenure?  I doubt you'd withhold criticism if we lose in the first round of the NIT.

Why does this logic not apply to Buffalo that backed up their 13 seed upset of Arizona with a 31 win season and a 6 seed demolishing ASU then going on to put up as decent of a fight as they could vs the eventual National Runner Up Texas Tech team (that so many people here bowed down to for their coaching hire). Could it have been that Buffalo was actually damn good and a team that ran and shot 3s all game was a natural counter to a 2 7fter half court team? Was it that bad of an upset in retrospect? No worse than Houston per your logic considering Houston beat Tommy Lloyd's 1 seed with Sean Miller level slow pace in reverse.

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu