Do you want UofA as #2 seed in the Midwest(KC) or #3 seed in the West(LV)?

Started by WILD, March 05, 2023, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxpert

Quote from: WILD on March 05, 2023, 04:46:14 PM
[tweet]1632527361257230337[/tweet]

In this mental exercise I would take the 2 Seed every time even though Tommy is doing everything in his power to sabotage this team's potential. However Joe Lunardi is detached from reality and the truth is we should be a 1 seed in the East with potential to move up to the West with a win in a rubber match vs UCLA.

Believe it or not.

KansasCityCats

It depends more on matchup than location.  I'd rather be a #3 seed in Vegas and take on Tennessee/Virginia/Baylor than travel as a #2 and play K-State/Purdue.

Selfishly, I'd LOVE for the Cats to come to KC but the alumni will obviously travel well if we stay out west...

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on March 06, 2023, 08:30:14 AM
It depends more on matchup than location.  I'd rather be a #3 seed in Vegas and take on Tennessee/Virginia/Baylor than travel as a #2 and play K-State/Purdue.

Selfishly, I'd LOVE for the Cats to come to KC but the alumni will obviously travel well if we stay out west...

UCLA is now #2 in the polls. For a team to move up from 4 to 2 like that in these circumstances, the poll had to have respected the dominant blowout victory over Arizona. This, by logic, should raise our clout. A nice win over UCLA in Vegas should replace us with UCLA on the 1 line.

And if you have a weird thing for Joe Lunardi, that current West bracket is the worst possible field to want to be in, but it would be the most fun field to be in overall considering I notice many members who are "happy with a sweet 16". Well I'm not going to be casually happy with a Sweet 16 when we have been a top 4-8 team basically all season. The expectation is to progress. Not regress. Elite 8 or bust.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2023-march-madness-men-field-predictions

Go ahead and substitute Arizona with UCLA and that bracket has TCU, Xavier, Gonzaga... then also Providence, Texas A&M, Michigan St, Baylor

Joe Lunardi is full of shit. Texas A&M is no 7 seed. They were 1 game from winning the SEC over Alabama and just layethed the smackethdown on Alabama which is a "1 seed". As Bill Walton would say "Please".

LeftCoastCats

At this point, I'd take a 4 seed out West.

Region is imperative and the road to the final four going through Vegas is a big deal for us.

KansasCityCats

Quote from: arxpert on March 06, 2023, 01:03:34 PM

And if you have a weird thing for Joe Lunardi, that current West bracket is the worst possible field to want to be in, but it would be the most fun field to be in overall considering I notice many members who are "happy with a sweet 16". Well I'm not going to be casually happy with a Sweet 16 when we have been a top 4-8 team basically all season. The expectation is to progress. Not regress. Elite 8 or bust.

Yes, it would be completely unreasonable to enjoy a Sweet 16 appearance...but an Elite 8 loss is a HUGE accomplishment...

If you're going to enjoy a mid-tournament loss, it should be in the Final Four.  Elite 8 losses are a wonderful way to kill your players' hopes and dreams.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on March 07, 2023, 08:16:22 AM
Quote from: arxpert on March 06, 2023, 01:03:34 PM

Yes, it would be completely unreasonable to enjoy a Sweet 16 appearance...but an Elite 8 loss is a HUGE accomplishment...

If you're going to enjoy a mid-tournament loss, it should be in the Final Four.  Elite 8 losses are a wonderful way to kill your players' hopes and dreams.

I don't celebrate Elite 8s. I do enjoy watching competitive basketball though. I have never seen an Arizona Elite 8 with my own 2 eyes where Arizona was not competitive to the final shot or two and this goes back to Lute Olson's meltdown to Illinois. However the non-meltdowns Lute had for the Final 4 appearances are/were still just 1 more win than the Elite 8 appearance. 5 more days of media coverage and sports betting hype. A fun occasion to watch with the SAME level of enthusiasm as the opening round for true fans.

I will always maintain that we are a 1 National Championship University until proven otherwise. No one regards Arizona as they do because we are a National Title Powerhouse. It is because of the Elite Consistency of the Shield. The Brand. The Dominance and staying power in our conference first and foremost. The players who came through Tucson came for the culture that was built. And all of the things that Lute used to do to get them to come to a raggedy ass small nothing of a town back in those days. Not unlike Coach 1B and every other top tier program doing what they had to do to secure the talent of the best young players in the Nation. (No Lute, was not a Saint by any means).

I am just telling you all there is a baseline expectation to not regress and not be satisfied with something that is considerably reasonable for a team that has been ranked as such all season to achieve.

No team ranked 1-8 for most of the year no matter what team it is should be satisfied finishing outside of the Elite 8. Just like Houston being a 1 seed and top 1-4 rank all season would be considered one of the biggest failures of expectations imaginable especially with the site of the Final Four as such. I guarantee their fanbase isn't resting on their laurels like some of you defeatists here are. This is College Basketball, not the NBA. You have to strike while the iron's hot.

Again you continue to prove why my qualitative priorities are completely on point. Pac12 Title, Pac12 Tournament Banner, THEN Big Dance. In that order. Control everything you can control up front. Keep your recruiting prowess and quality control.

I ride with Tommy Lloyd and the Arizona Wildcats and just like anyone who supports a cause, they should be able to tell the cold hard truth and not have to bootlick.

AZip

2 in the west...we beat ucla in PAC  tourney without their Clark.
A Z i p

AZip

A Z i p