Sam Froling recruiting update, I'm hearing it's between Arizona & Creighton

Started by WILD, December 28, 2017, 10:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Sam Froling recruiting update, I'm hearing it's between Arizona & Creighton. Here's what he had to say about Arizona after his recent visit.  He will be announcing his decision within the next 2 weeks. 

Arizona: "Sean Miller is an exceptional coach. They're a very respected program and looking at the guys they've had at my position in the past, like Lauri Markkanen, and them just being able to improve players from my position."
Froling said he's taking a few weeks to process his options.
"I think I'll probably make my decision within the next week or two," Froling told 247Sports. "I don't have a set date yet. I'm still doing a bit more research and watching some footage."

Read what Sam has to say about the other 3 schools on his final 4 list below
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/12/28/australian-forward-sam-froling-closing-college-decision/

mvpreed2

You have to be amazed with the type of talent that McDermott has been able to keep interested in Creighton.
Hell he was supposedly in on Bowen before things begin to take a turn..

I mean I don't know what he is looking for in his program, but even trying to take my Arizona homer shades off, I cannot see a reason why I would pick Creighton over Arizona, seriously.
Being a much bigger fish in a very small pond?
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

dashots_UA

Quote from: mvpreed2 on December 28, 2017, 08:45:13 PM
You have to be amazed with the type of talent that McDermott has been able to keep interested in Creighton.
Hell he was supposedly in on Bowen before things begin to take a turn..

I mean I don't know what he is looking for in his program, but even trying to take my Arizona homer shades off, I cannot see a reason why I would pick Creighton over Arizona, seriously.
Being a much bigger fish in a very small pond?
Thats all I can think of... being the guy I guess?  Where at Arizona he would be a 4 year player that would probably be overshadowed at the PF spot many of those years.  Of course, at a school like Creighton, you have to do much much more to get noticed like an Arizona player does.  Really hope we land the kid, if anything just to get our recruiting some forward momentum again and take the "do not touch" label off of Arizona Basketball that recruits seem to have applied.
Bear Down.

mvpreed2

Quote from: dashots_UA on December 31, 2017, 04:38:17 PMThats all I can think of... being the guy I guess?  Where at Arizona he would be a 4 year player that would probably be overshadowed at the PF spot many of those years.  Of course, at a school like Creighton, you have to do much much more to get noticed like an Arizona player does.  Really hope we land the kid, if anything just to get our recruiting some forward momentum again and take the "do not touch" label off of Arizona Basketball that recruits seem to have applied.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that label applies to most Euro bigs coming over to the United States.
When you think of Markkanen, the schools that he was looking at had to do with the connections he had from Finland.
Arizona was because of a former player, UNC was because his dad went there, and then Utah was because of the success they had with bigs from overseas like Poetl.

Then we have Froling, who included SMU because of his brother and sisters, Arizona got in because of how we handled Markkanen, and Creighton, I have no clue how they are in it, but they are.
The more success we have with Euro bigs, the easier it will be to recruit them.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

Pquinlan

mvpreed2

Quote from: Pquinlan on January 08, 2018, 02:25:58 PMWhen is this dude announcing?
Well WILDcatAZfan said within two weeks, and that was on the 28th, so he still has another week to be on the clock.
We are going to need some bigs in this class losing Ayton/Ristic/Pinder in one season.
I am hoping Miller can bring in at least two bigs, but hopefully 3-4 because Lee would be the only big we have on our roster next season.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

Little George

Quote from: mvpreed2 on January 09, 2018, 09:17:16 PM
Quote from: Pquinlan on January 08, 2018, 02:25:58 PMWhen is this dude announcing?
Well WILDcatAZfan said within two weeks, and that was on the 28th, so he still has another week to be on the clock.
We are going to need some bigs in this class losing Ayton/Ristic/Pinder in one season.
I am hoping Miller can bring in at least two bigs, but hopefully 3-4 because Lee would be the only big we have on our roster next season.

Jeter
O'Neill
And Lee so far

mvpreed2

Quote from: Little George on January 09, 2018, 09:25:25 PM
Jeter
O'Neill
And Lee so far
I keep forgetting about Jeter.
In my post, I am referring to taller bigs, not 6'8 combo forwards.
Get some versatile trees, 6'10 or taller and use them to our advantage.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

dashots_UA

I remember when Sean Miller first got to UA and Derrick Williams was forced to play center most of the time with Jesse Perry, Hill or Horne at the 4.  He said he never wanted to be without size again... and we have had at least 1 7 footer ever since.  I know he really likes size on his roster, so hopefully we can land at least one more commit (in addition to Froling, if he does commit), who can make an immediate impact.  Unfortunately, this is like the one year when all the top guys committed early.  Moses Brown or Jalen Brown would be awesome gets and there are also a couple of European bigs that could be very good immediately.
Bear Down.

mvpreed2

Quote from: dashots_UA on January 14, 2018, 05:37:50 PMI know he really likes size on his roster, so hopefully we can land at least one more commit (in addition to Froling, if he does commit), who can make an immediate impact.  Unfortunately, this is like the one year when all the top guys committed early.  Moses Brown or Jalen Brown would be awesome gets and there are also a couple of European bigs that could be very good immediately.
The best thing about it (to me) is we will have Jeter coming off his transfer/redshirt year.
6'10 and a rim-runner would be good, but he should already be included in the 2018 recruiting class.
Add Froling and maybe one more big as an insurance policy that would be able to play and get limited reps should be enough for us.

Bryan Penn-Johnson would be my primary target after I got a commit from a big.
6'10 big that I would say is like a D.Jordan from the Clippers; someone that will help defensively, but won't command the ball on offense.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu