Miller admits the only reason Smith starts is due to his size on defense

Started by WILD, February 09, 2020, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

I read this elsewhere but I'm passing it on: Smith's stats in the last four games - 4-27 fg, 1-18 3pt fg - and here are his Pac12 conf stats: 32% fg, 28% 3pt fg, and 58% ft - in an average of 26 mpg.

Bear

Baker hasn't been any more consistent then Smith and the blow by a few games back that cost us the game was on Baker. Not so easy a choice here.

Smith is not supposed to be one of our main offensive players responsible with creating offense.  He didn't flourish like that last year and doesn't this year either.  Have him play 3nD with other players handling the ball creating offense, then he gets us decent 3% and sneaks to the hole on occasion.

We all know who Smith is.  So does he.  This is less about Smith than the rest of the team failing to perform making it necessary to have another player to step up.  If the rest of the team, looking at Nico and Josh here primarily, are going to tank offensively, bring on Baker.

Jdmarti

Baker is inconsistent on offense an defense  but he takes care of the ball better than Smith an makes his shots at the line.

Titan4Wildcats

I believe that since this is coming up now in public conversation, it's probably been a PROBLEM in the gym...and possibly on the court.  Could be for the same reason this happens every season.  The players are great, the team is great, and then it ends.  They go to the pros or overseas, and it starts again here.  Could it be that the way Coach Miller puts/keeps players on the court for their defense, but those same players are out trying to get a lot of additional "attention" with their offense and not doing their part for the team is what's been causing the breakdowns at the end of the year...every year?  I don't have any info or way to get it, but it does sound like a possibility.  The Wildcats under Coach Miller have had some serious talent here. 

wildcatinthewoods

Quote from: WILDSIZZLE on February 09, 2020, 09:45:06 AM
After the UCLA game Miller told reporters the only reason Smith plays so much is due to his size on defense. Miller needs to replace Smith with Baker asap. Smith has now become a liability to the team. See Miller's quote below.

"I think Dylan is obviously struggling with his shot, he's missed about 20 in a row, but Dylan is 6-5 and he's that one wing player that can really help us defensively," Miller said. "Our subs are much smaller, so it's tough just to go without him because we trust him on defense and he's also had some really good moments on offense this season. Hopefully he can get his confidence back. You want your team to have confidence. We certainly didn't look like we had confidence tonight. That's all me. That's my job as the coach."

WHY DID DD HAVE TO BE A BITCH AND LEAVE. WE COULD USE HIM SOOOOOOO MUCH RIGHT NOW.

lynxaz

Quote from: wildcatinthewoods on February 10, 2020, 12:23:52 PM
Quote from: WILDSIZZLE on February 09, 2020, 09:45:06 AM
After the UCLA game Miller told reporters the only reason Smith plays so much is due to his size on defense. Miller needs to replace Smith with Baker asap. Smith has now become a liability to the team. See Miller's quote below.

"I think Dylan is obviously struggling with his shot, he's missed about 20 in a row, but Dylan is 6-5 and he's that one wing player that can really help us defensively," Miller said. "Our subs are much smaller, so it's tough just to go without him because we trust him on defense and he's also had some really good moments on offense this season. Hopefully he can get his confidence back. You want your team to have confidence. We certainly didn't look like we had confidence tonight. That's all me. That's my job as the coach."

WHY DID DD HAVE TO BE A BITCH AND LEAVE. WE COULD USE HIM SOOOOOOO MUCH RIGHT NOW.

DD did not leave on his own he was kicked off the team for breaking the rules not once either but multiple times.

Jdmarti

One player I wish that we would have had is b.will he would have been starting with nico an been facilitator  an a scorer.

mvpreed2

Quote from: KansasCityCats on February 09, 2020, 12:03:41 PM
I understand that we need to match up defensively with talented wings. If Miller continued to give Dylan big minutes, he needs to put a leash on his shot.

Dylan is great as a catch and shoot perimeter player. He also can drive to the basket when smaller guards cover him.

Otherwise, he is absolutely killing us on offense.
Every word of this!
As a former player, I have had a coach clearly say "YOU don't shoot outside of (insert range) feet!"
This was in HS, so there is no reason why Miller won't be able to say the same thing to DS.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

BearDownU - Menu