Pac12's Last Stand for CFP Hopes

Started by arxpert, November 17, 2023, 03:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxpert

Wa(r)shington @ Oregon State.

This is the game that will determine if the Pac12 gets a representative into the CFP this year imho.

Oregon State is virtually unbeatable at home over the last few seasons. Whether it is this year's iteration or prior teams, something about playing in Corvallis seems to spook Opponents.

Currently it's a 1 point spread. This @OreSt thing is not a joke. Penix is going to have to play his best game.

Footnote - I saw Utaw@Zona was a 1pt spread as well

KansasCityCats

I still think that Oregon gets in if they win out. Their awful play calling at the end of the UW game resulted in their only loss.

Even if Oregon State wins, the Pac-12 will get enough love to put one team in (unless the Huskies lose to the Beavers and thr Ducks fall again).

UW should win tomorrow. Penix knows that they need a W and he's a smart WB with a lot of weapons around him. Should be a fun one to watch!

Little George

Beavers beat the Ducks
We win out
We play Washington in the PAC ship

KansasCityCats

My post just disappeared...

Yes, Oregon needs to lose at least one of their final two games (likely Oregon St).

Prior to that, UW needs to beat Oregon St.

Arizona obviously needs to win their final two matchups against Utah/assu.

For SOS purposes, Cal also needs to lose one of their games against UCLA or Stanford.

It's a longshot but it's definitely not impossible.  My assumption is that we drop a game and Oregon beats Oregon St.  Either way, I have my fingers crossed because it's already an amazing accomplishment to be one of the final four programs in contention for Vegas.  Especially considering the mess that Sumlin left us two seasons ago.

|ᴘ|ʀ|ʏ|ᴍ|ᴇ|

This week:
1.) Washington needs to beat Oregon State
2.) We need to beat Utah

Next week:
1.) Oregon State needs to beat Oregon
2.) We need to beat ASU

Final Conference Standings:
Oregon         (7-2)
Arizona        (7-2)
Oregon St.   (6-3)

* Arizona/Oregon head-to-head tiebreaker goes to Arizona via results vs Oregon State

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on November 17, 2023, 11:24:06 AMMy post just disappeared...

Yes, Oregon needs to lose at least one of their final two games (likely Oregon St).

Prior to that, UW needs to beat Oregon St.

Arizona obviously needs to win their final two matchups against Utah/assu.

For SOS purposes, Cal also needs to lose one of their games against UCLA or Stanford.

It's a longshot but it's definitely not impossible.  My assumption is that we drop a game and Oregon beats Oregon St.  Either way, I have my fingers crossed because it's already an amazing accomplishment to be one of the final four programs in contention for Vegas.  Especially considering the mess that Sumlin left us two seasons ago.

Absolutely shocking and incredible this post even exists with all of us discussing scenarios to be in a Pac12 Championship game. Very much the Twilight Zone.

I think that if Washington faced Oregon again for the Pac12 Title, the winner MAY get in with 1 loss, but I don't know how you judge Oregon or Washington if they both have 1 loss AND one of Ohio St + Michigan have 1 loss as well.

I would definitely kick out Florida State automatically. I have no idea why they are even ranked 4 and in the CFP Picture. They do not even look good when I watch them.

Georgia
Michigan/Ohio State
Washington/Oregon
Florida St, Mich/OSU, Wash/Oregon, Alabama/Texas

The committee is going to have to break some hearts this year. The New Years 6 games should be good overall though. Plenty of options.

This year would be a good year for the expansion. I think every year will have a scenario like this as the mega conferences form and it will be very difficult to be undefeated, but it will be obvious that some teams are much better with 1 or 2 losses than powderpuff teams.

KansasCityCats

Yup, it'll be interesting to see how the next two weeks play out.

Florida State is weak but they continue to "not lose". With Louisville in the ACC title game, there's a good chance that they're still one of the lone undefeated schools.

The only way chaos will completely ensue is an Alabama win over UGA in the SEC championship because ESPN and the media will push for both of those schools to get in, regardless of Bama's body of work over the first 12 weeks of the season. 

arxpert

Will Oregon spoil the party in true Pac12 Form and defeat Washington?

KansasCityCats

Yup. They're playing better than any other program in college football.

They'll sneak into the CFP and I wouldn't be surprised if they finally win it all.

I'm intrigued to see how the FSU/Louisville game pans out.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on November 29, 2023, 10:21:50 PMYup. They're playing better than any other program in college football.

They'll sneak into the CFP and I wouldn't be surprised if they finally win it all.

I'm intrigued to see how the FSU/Louisville game pans out.

I do not agree that Oregon is playing better than any other program in College Football. I don't presume to think Washington will dominate them, but the 10 point spread is very disrespectful at minimum.

I expect FSU to win. No eye-test needed. If they lose then sure all hell has potential to break loose especially if Alabama wins or the unthinkable Michigan loses.

BearDownU - Menu