Asu's Bobby Hurley throws temper tantrum at presser after 4 technical fouls 😹

Started by WILD, January 18, 2024, 06:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little George

KansasCityCats

This is how a press conference would look if "I" were a head coach. Not sure how Hurley is considered a professional.

Is he really proud of a 42% FG against a team with a losing record?  Arizona only had two games all season with a worse percentage from the field (and we played a brutal (OOC slate).

So much fun with Hurley in the conference. He isn't Miller because the refs appeared to be out to get Arizona when CSM was at the helm. Hurley attracts the attention by flamboyantly whining about little calls, which eventually intensify into grudges.

Little George

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 18, 2024, 08:41:54 AMThis is how a press conference would look if "I" were a head coach. Not sure how Hurley is considered a professional.

Is he really proud of a 42% FG against a team with a losing record?  Arizona only had two games all season with a worse percentage from the field (and we played a brutal (OOC slate).

So much fun with Hurley in the conference. He isn't Miller because the refs appeared to be out to get Arizona when CSM was at the helm. Hurley attracts the attention by flamboyantly whining about little calls, which eventually intensify into grudges.

He feels the game was stolen from his team. I tend to agree.

Doesn't mean I like him at all, but I feel his emotions.

|ᴘ|ʀ|ʏ|ᴍ|ᴇ|

lynxaz

Can you point to the stuffed bear where UCLA touched you? How did that make you feel?

arxpert

At least there is nothing wholesome about Bobby and he embraces it. I would like to see some emotion from Tommy once in a while. We barely won last night. Scoreboard is a complete joke compared to how close the game was at times.

Even Metcalf's halftime interview with Tommy was cringe. Tommy didn't even know how to answer the question about how to stop what USC was doing. Very uncomfortable and also uncomfortable with the lack of knowledge and poise Tommy had at the half.

lynxaz

Quote from: arxpert on January 18, 2024, 02:44:44 PMAt least there is nothing wholesome about Bobby and he embraces it. I would like to see some emotion from Tommy once in a while. We barely won last night. Scoreboard is a complete joke compared to how close the game was at times.

Even Metcalf's halftime interview with Tommy was cringe. Tommy didn't even know how to answer the question about how to stop what USC was doing. Very uncomfortable and also uncomfortable with the lack of knowledge and poise Tommy had at the half.

Tommy knew the passing has been ortrocious. He also knows his way of playing is not what we have been seeing.He knows how Arizona should be playing up tempo basketball with good passing to beat the defenders.
Why wouldn't he understand his own style? Again another bad take on a coach you have an vindeta with since he started which shows by yoor constant dribble. 

arxpert

Quote from: lynxaz on January 18, 2024, 03:25:14 PM
Quote from: arxpert on January 18, 2024, 02:44:44 PMAt least there is nothing wholesome about Bobby and he embraces it. I would like to see some emotion from Tommy once in a while. We barely won last night. Scoreboard is a complete joke compared to how close the game was at times.

Tommy knew the passing has been ortrocious. He also knows his way of playing is not what we have been seeing.He knows how Arizona should be playing up tempo basketball with good passing to beat the defenders.
Why wouldn't he understand his own style? Again another bad take on a coach you have an vindeta with since he started which shows by yoor constant dribble. 

If what you said is actually true, then I am right and Tommy lost the locker room. This year he has lost it earlier. Every season he loses it earlier and earlier. So what's it going to be? Walk your commentary back?

I was right about Scumlin.
I was right about Brother Jedd the Grifter.
I will be right about Tommy in the end.

And if I'm wrong?

I will celebrate as hard or harder than anyone else here.

That's the part that stings my critics the most.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I will enjoy any success Tommy has. He has started to listen. We will see if it's too late overall though. Maybe he can get the locker room back if we can string together about 10 wins in a row using the new tactics he installed last night.

lynxaz

Quote from: arxpert on January 18, 2024, 05:11:43 PM

If what you said is actually true, then I am right and Tommy lost the locker room. This year he has lost it earlier. Every season he loses it earlier and earlier. So what's it going to be? Walk your commentary back?

And if I'm wrong?

I will enjoy any success Tommy has. He has started to listen. We will see if it's too late overall though. Maybe he can get the locker room back if we can string together about 10 wins in a row using the new tactics he installed last night.

Without actually being in the locker room this is a falicey and you are assuming based on your "asspertise"
I don't see that in the players body language at all that he has lost them.
It's more plausible that players are questioning themselves and their potential nba futures. We saw this with Miller teams also it's not uncommon for players to start playing differently either because they want to showcase their other talents,afraid to get hurt or thinking they don't need to run and gun because of the opponent. Look at the Stanford game for your clues.

arxpert

Quote from: lynxaz on January 18, 2024, 08:58:24 PM
Quote from: arxpert on January 18, 2024, 05:11:43 PM

And if I'm wrong?

Without actually being in the locker room this is a falicey and you are assuming based on your "asspertise"
I don't see that in the players body language at all that he has lost them.
It's more plausible that players are questioning themselves and their potential nba futures. We saw this with Miller teams also it's not uncommon for players to start playing differently either because they want to showcase their other talents,afraid to get hurt or thinking they don't need to run and gun because of the opponent. Look at the Stanford game for your clues.

It's really not a competition between Tommy and Sean, but you seem to want it to be.

Miller got players to the NBA. Tommy was just the Coach when Miller's players got to the NBA. We will see who makes it to the NBA organically under Tommy.

It was a Player's Program. Now we don't really have an identity nor a culture. Tommy lost control the last 2 seasons. He is trying to get control back right now. We don't have that much time left. He needs to figure the rotations out over the next 4 games and stick with them if he wants anything to carry over into the Post Season and he needs to be adaptable this year in the Pac12 because the styles of the teams vary so much that he needs to have an answer for each one. Playing his way isn't going to win the Conference.

If he can get the team back together, in roles, and on the same page, he has a chance to use that power to get through at least 1 or 2 games in March then he would have had experience with different lineups as the Tournament goes on if he ever wanted to adapt. Which I do not think he will, but you never know. We have a couple players who have heart on this team and they may just carry Tommy through the deepest waters. Need to get to that point first.

KansasCityCats

"Losing the locker room" assumes that the players don't buy in to Arizona as a program. The kids are proud to be wildcats and embrace Lloyd as their coach.

Being right about Fisch "not staying in Tucson" is very different from your projection of him underperforming and only winning a couple games.

Look at Gonzaga. Their record proves that they miss Lloyd. He understands basketball and his current roster. That's why the Cats are currently ranked in the Top-15 with another solid incoming recruiting class.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 19, 2024, 05:26:57 AM"Losing the locker room" assumes that the players don't buy in to Arizona as a program. The kids are proud to be wildcats and embrace Lloyd as their coach.

Being right about Fisch "not staying in Tucson" is very different from your projection of him underperforming and only winning a couple games.

Look at Gonzaga. Their record proves that they miss Lloyd. He understands basketball and his current roster. That's why the Cats are currently ranked in the Top-15 with another solid incoming recruiting class.

Gonzaga is trash by their own doing. Few has brought in incoherent high ranked players. Dusty Stromer is not Elite. Gonzaga lost more than Arizona ever had in terms of shooting over the last couple seasons. For a "system" predicated on Offense, Gonzaga is stuck in a down year (and still doing alright).

Losing the locker room is a different story. There is a ton of ways to interpret that statement. I say it because the players don't listen and they have been watching Love play his own game for a long time now. Tommy can't control Love anymore because no one else is stepping up. I acknowledge that Tommy tried to give Boswell the chances to take leadership back, but that ship has sailed. Bradley has usurped Boswell to the point Boswell actually needs to return next year as his stock should be at an all time low. Maybe we can blame this on Love. The Love Effect is damaging Tommy's system. That's on Tommy. He brought in Love.

We will fly or crash on Love this year. Keshad is basically #2 in command. This is not "the system". We have about 10 games to get this thing going and oil the machine if we want to have any success in the post season.

KansasCityCats

We knew that Arizona's success would hinge on Love when he announced the transfer.  He had a reputation for being erratic but he has a "controlled green light" under Lloyd.  He can shoot at-will but hasn't taken NEARLY the amount of bad shots as he did in Chapel Hill.

Love is shooting less attempts per game from his Junior campaign.  Despite having 5 less MPG, his FG% increased by 6%, 3PT% by 4%, FT% by 8% and EVERY other stat has improved (rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, fouls, turnovers, etc.).  The kid is efficient AND effective...but also a liability because he has no fear.

Fortunately, we have a deep roster and we're one of only three schools in the Pac-12 (Oregon & Stanford) that has 5 starters that average double figures.  If Love has an off-day, there are plenty of weapons that can compensate offensively. 

Johnson is a great #2.  He's been to a National Title Game and plays harder than anybody else on the floor and his unselfishness sets the tone.  Our team wants to win & unless somebody is IN the locker room, they can't knock Lloyd's "control" of the players within locker room.

BearDownU - Menu