Transfer & Grad-Transfer Free Agency

Started by mvpreed2, March 15, 2020, 06:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpreed2

Now that we have contacted our first transfer free agent, I guess it is time to start PPU's "Transfer Free Agency" thread.
For those that know how this goes, we all contribute to this list.
If you see something, post it in here, the thread will be updated promptly.
Here we go!!

Position/Name/Previous School/New School
G - Terrell Brown (Seattle - Arizona)
C - Matt Haarms (Purdue)
G - Nate Johnson (Gardner-Webb - Xavier)
G - Carlik Jones (Radford - Louisville)
F - Johnny Juzang (Kentucky - UCLA)
G - Charles Minlend (San Francisco - Louisville)
G/F - Landers Nolley II (Virginia Tech)
G - Mike Smith (Columbia - Michigan)
G - Erik Stevenson (Wichita State - Washington)
G - Trey Wertz (Santa Clara - Notre Dame)
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

Can't the two Shockers just combine into one solid player?

Stevenson shoots waaaay too often from beyond the arc...but he is the farm better defender. Based on his quote, he'd never get along with Miller because he similarly pulls players for stupid mistakes.

Burton seems like a nice option unless they plan to play together. Will be interesting to see where both kids land.

LJ

arxpert

I'm just a bit cautious when adding so many transfers. Especially at the same time. Most are either set in their ways and not going to buy into new coaching. Once in a while you get a TJ McConnell who shines, but the rest typically leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully some of our core returns and we can add 1 more piece besides Akinjo and Jordan Brown.

Nico, Green, Dalen, Zeke, Jordan Brown would be nice
Akinjo, B Will, Baker, Lee, Koloko, and another transfer with Mathurian red shirting would be great.

A guy can dream.

Akinjo, Walton, Dalen, Zhaire, Jordan Brown
Baker, B Will, Lee, Koloko, Mathurian, and a couple more transfers would be ok too. Or JT Thor

Otherwise we are most likely looking at another year of PPU complaining lol. Its just too much player turnover to overcome in the immediate until the NCAA stuff is fully behind us.

arxpert

In the normal universe it feels like the roster will look something like

Akinjo, B Will, Dalen, Ira, Jordan Brown
Baker, Koloko, Mathurian?

I wonder if Mathurian is sort of like an Akot " :-\\  "

We really could use at least 1 of Walton/Zhaire.

No coach would be able to do too much with this scenario unfortunately if we can't land another chip.

KansasCityCats

Marshall knows basketball, possibly better then any other D-1 coach. He has one of the worst abilities to handle people. Media, players, fans and alumni have always had personal issues but they seem to get over it because he's a winner.

Stevenson is a decent player that will help a school. I wouldn't be upset if it's Arizona.

I'm definitely sick of treating college basketball transfers like free agents. I miss the old days of 3-4 year seniors coming in and out of Tucson where we can grow to love them.

We are about to graduate guys like Dylan, Max, Chase and Stone...all guys that committed elsewhere out of high school. I don't have the same love for them as I did for guys like Zeus, Ristic, PJC, etc.

Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter...

mvpreed2

The transfer rate has gone up because of the notion that the prospects believe that their situation is bad and they need to find better.
For every prospect that has left, there is a story for a prospect that stayed and blossomed, and one that stayed and did not pan out.
The point is simple, there are too many variables at play that will contribute to a situation working out for the prospect AND the coaching staff.

Too many prospects are trying the "right fit" for them and may never find it.
For the grad-transfers, I look at them leaving like the seasoned veteran on a terrible team that just wants to go out on a winning team that has a chance to win conference championship(s) and maybe a decent shot at a Final Four.
In the end, college basketball has become more of a business than a learning/teaching experience.
I am all for the players trying to take control of their future, even if that means they make the wrong decision.
You won't know if you can fly if you are too afraid to jump...
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

UAlum

Quote from: arxpert on March 17, 2020, 12:04:08 AM
In the normal universe it feels like the roster will look something like

Akinjo, B Will, Dalen, Ira, Jordan Brown
Baker, Koloko, Mathurian?

I wonder if Mathurian is sort of like an Akot " :-\\  "

We really could use at least 1 of Walton/Zhaire.

No coach would be able to do too much with this scenario unfortunately if we can't land another chip.
Just a heads up Bennedict Mathurin has been impressing a lot of people and sounds like he is a legit prospect.

BearDownU - Menu