If not Miller, then who?

Started by 2012Cat, January 13, 2020, 07:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxpert

Yes KC -- I should have made it clear to the stickler's -- The POST CALHOUN ERA UCONN Huskies.

Does one extra basket actually change what people think 9 years later or would that Year 2 Final 4 just be shit all over anyway? At what point does recency bias end? This is a massively overhyped, overanalyzed pseudo drought in the big picture.

Miller Elite 8 30% of his career here. 2nd weekend 50%. Never blown out in the 2nd weekend like most teams on "runs" who don't belong . Like the 100-65 type scores. Or the token 93-77 shalacking we put on Duke in the sweet 16.

ChrisZona

Quote from: arxpert on January 15, 2020, 07:47:37 PM
Yes KC -- I should have made it clear to the stickler's -- The POST CALHOUN ERA UCONN Huskies.

Does one extra basket actually change what people think 9 years later or would that Year 2 Final 4 just be shit all over anyway? At what point does recency bias end? This is a massively overhyped, overanalyzed pseudo drought in the big picture.

Miller Elite 8 30% of his career here. 2nd weekend 50%. Never blown out in the 2nd weekend like most teams on "runs" who don't belong . Like the 100-65 type scores. Or the token 93-77 shalacking we put on Duke in the sweet 16.

So you want us to overlook the past 3-4 years you know the trend, but cling to stuff from like 6-9 years ago. 3 elite eights that's great you know what else has happened 30% of the time completely missing the tournament or is that not big picture. But you do have a point people do but too much stock on these single games. If Miller had advanced to the final four in 2011 or 2014 it wouldn't have made a difference he would still be a poor coach today. You see it all the time with coaches going on lucky final four runs, I mean Kevin Ollie has a national championship under his belt who the hell would want him as their head coach.

arxpert

That's exactly my point. Some people are fixated on a Final Four banner as the ultimate narrative. If Miller got it Year 2 there would still be people suffering from recency bias today who could care less.

So your comment basically proves that a big segment of Miller's critics most likely wouldn't even be happy today if he had a Final Four and wasn't known as the guy who hasn't gotten over the hump as opposed to the guy who got there close to 10 years ago, then almost got there again 4 more times but has fizzled out.

At a certain point who is worth appeasing besides the supporters?

Wildcat4life

Miller is a great recruiter of talent, but not a great recruiter of needs and fit. I looked into Miller's actual record while at the UofA and he has a losing record vs ranked teams while being ranked as well. Miller has only beaten one team ranked higher, that being Duke. I'm starting to believe he is a good coach, but not a great coach. Maybe the early success was based on team dynamics, seeding and a heavy reliance on the coaching staff. The past five years he has been mediocre at best and under his stewardship the program has been scrutinized on a national level. I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to change, be it support staff, recruiting, scheduling or a HC change. When the program is in a downward trend something needs to change. Fingers crossed that everything changes and the next five years are much better. Bear Down it's game day!

jumpinjohnny

Quote from: arxpert on January 16, 2020, 09:08:46 AM
That's exactly my point. Some people are fixated on a Final Four banner as the ultimate narrative. If Miller got it Year 2 there would still be people suffering from recency bias today who could care less.

So your comment basically proves that a big segment of Miller's critics most likely wouldn't even be happy today if he had a Final Four and wasn't known as the guy who hasn't gotten over the hump as opposed to the guy who got there close to 10 years ago, then almost got there again 4 more times but has fizzled out.

I totally agree. We could have two final fours and the, what-have-you-done for-me-lately cabal would still be demanding change. It is what it is--there are a lot of fickle people in this world, many of whom find it reasonable to hold others to a higher standard than they hold themselves. Oh well, that's life in an imperfect world.

ChrisZona

Quote from: jumpinjohnny on January 16, 2020, 10:01:55 AM

I totally agree. We could have two final fours and the, what-have-you-done for-me-lately cabal would still be demanding change. It is what it is--there are a lot of fickle people in this world, many of whom find it reasonable to hold others to a higher standard than they hold themselves. Oh well, that's life in an imperfect world.

If I get A's and B's as a freshman and Sophomore but fail all my classes as an upperclassmen should I still be able to graduate? Miller could win a national title he would still have to perform at a high level consistently to keep his job and keep fans happy. All that does is buy patience from a fan base but ultimately you need stay consistent you can't just win a title or advance to a F4 and then flame out or you'll end up like Kevin Ollie. The one consistent in the Miller era is recruiting, but on and off the court has been a roller coaster and lows have been much more impactful then the highs I think that's why a good portion of fans are ready for change.

Bkatt

I don't think there needs to be a change at Head Coach at this point. But...

arxpert

Quote from: ChrisZona on January 16, 2020, 10:45:17 AM
Quote from: jumpinjohnny on January 16, 2020, 10:01:55 AM

If I get A's and B's as a freshman and Sophomore but fail all my classes as an upperclassmen should I still be able to graduate? Miller could win a national title he would still have to perform at a high level consistently to keep his job and keep fans happy. All that does is buy patience from a fan base but ultimately you need stay consistent you can't just win a title or advance to a F4 and then flame out or you'll end up like Kevin Ollie. The one consistent in the Miller era is recruiting, but on and off the court has been a roller coaster and lows have been much more impactful then the highs I think that's why a good portion of fans are ready for change.

Well, if you get all A's as a Freshman and Sophmore in the Pre-Reqs, than get all C's as a Junior and Senior in your Major, your overall GPA will be something like 3.0 and your Major GPA will be something like 2.0. So there is recency bias in school too, however when you apply for a job you can still put 3.0 on your resume because its true and a fact of your life. If you are asked what your GPA was in your focus of study (major) than you say 2.0. It's upto the employer to decide if you are worth hiring for full body of work or for a specific skillset.

arxpert

This is also true in the reverse. If you start as a Frosh/Soph with all C's, but finish as a Junior/Senior with all A's you will be the same 3.0, but people might view you as someone who has progressed as opposed to regressed.

Miller still won the Pac12 conference and/or Conference Tourney twice each in these recent "down years" so it's not really that black and white. There is a lot to like and some room for improvement.

Winning the Conference Title Banner and the Conf. Tourney's are not exactly equal to getting an A+ on the final, but getting a C in the class overall cuz you didn't do well on the first couple tests and never did your homework. 

Or in another way to look at it, getting A's all semester on almost everything, but failing the final (big dance) so you get a C after all that effort. Some classes are like that, way too much emphasis on the final exam, but maybe you had a bad day or a personal issue that hurt your performance that 1 day and it would be a shame to give in and let that define who you are for life.

2012Cat

BearDownU - Menu