USC and UCLA Departing the Pac12

Started by arxpert, June 30, 2022, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxpert

Can't wait to see UCLA or USC have to play some sort of flex game of Football at Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers or at Michigan, Wisconsin or pretty much anywhere in the winter when it's 20 degrees outside. Less about the snow/rain than it is about the cold weather in general.

I don't think the Pac12 can be repaired without other Power 5 teams joining.  I would like to see Kansas and Kansas St jump to the Pac12. Both would fit for Football and Basketball purposes. Oklahoma St and Iowa St could come too and it would work. I don't think any of the Texas Schools would want to come like Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and West Virginia is too far.

Otherwise Arizona really needs to get out of the Pac12 if the fate is to be mid major teams coming.

On another note - I would like to see Gonzaga do what BYU does and join the Pac12 just for Basketball specifically, but Mark Few has too good of a thing going with his Monopoly to make that move. BYU seems to go the independent route for Football, maybe they could be coaxed into joining the Pac12 for Football and Basketball - they seem to play Pac12 teams at least in Football every year anyway. But I assume that the Pac12 has to be attractive to join which I don't think it is. Bad management all around.

mvpreed2

As a USC football fan, as much as I understand this from a business move, I HATE this from a geographical move.
USC would have been better off in the Big 12, but Texas/Oklahoma ran off to the SEC.

As it stands, the Big Ten and SEC are going to be the ones that take who they want.
The PAC-12/ACC and Big 12 are going to be scrambling trying to figure out their next move.
I hope Arizona/ASU move to the Big 12 along with Utah/Colorado.
I believe those four programs would help stabilize the Big 12 and realistically allow that conference to remain for the foreseeable future.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

Little George

Quote from: mvpreed2 on July 02, 2022, 09:47:20 PM
As a USC football fan, as much as I understand this from a business move, I HATE this from a geographical move.
USC would have been better off in the Big 12, but Texas/Oklahoma ran off to the SEC.

As it stands, the Big Ten and SEC are going to be the ones that take who they want.
The PAC-12/ACC and Big 12 are going to be scrambling trying to figure out their next move.
I hope Arizona/ASU move to the Big 12 along with Utah/Colorado.
I believe those four programs would help stabilize the Big 12 and realistically allow that conference to remain for the foreseeable future.

Sure to some degree.

I think Oregon and Washington are both more attractive additions to any conference. When we look at Oregon and Washington with Utah and Stanford? Those are four solid football programs even if Stanford has struggled lately.
While I hate the PAC conference, with the whimpie additions the Big 12 have recently made from desperation,  they actually drop off a bit on quality and attractiveness.
I think if the PAC added 6 solid teams we could be a factor with a new TV deal. The only way that works is IF we expand east to include someone in Texas.
First would be to throw everything at Texas A&M and Nebraska. Are they really happy where they are? And the money issue, but they help the TV contract substantially.
If they pass then Baylor and TCU.
Secondly either way. Oklahoma State and Iowa State.
Other options include
SDSU/Texas Tech
Kansas State/Kansas
Houston/UTSA
BYU/Boise

At this point if we don't secure a super conference status we never will unless we become relevant enough to be invited.

I thinkvThe PAC Big 12 merger is the best option to be considered a P4 conference. There will be no more 5P conferences.

Little George

If by miracle we landed Texas A&M and Nebraska we would not take any other Texas schools. They want to be the only Texas school in their conference.
Then Oklahoma State and Iowa State would be an ideal move. Kansas and Kansas State is all about basketball. That would be 16.
SDSU with Boise might be ok at that point.

Setting up east west or north south might be difficult. Might consider pods at that point.

KansasCityCats

If the PAC-12 tried to poach the Big-12, theylll try to go after at least one Texas school because football needs the television and recruiting territory. Not sure if Baylor or TCU would be a better option (TTU makes the most geographical sense but Lubbock is desolate).

KU, KSU, ISU and OSU would be ideal additions. With the exception of KU football (who may actually provide us with an annual victory), all four athletic departments are well-run. Add Baylor and Tech...and we'd have a nice 16-team future.

Little George

Yes, any expansion without Texas is a waste

beardownzona93

I don't think the pac-12 is really in the position to be "poaching" other schools from a conference like the BIG-12. Why would any school leave a conference that takes care of them for one that has a track record of treating it's schools like garbage?

I don't mean to offend people, but it seems pac12 fans are pretty ignorant of the rest of the college football world. We are seen as a laughing stock. We call ourselves the conference of champions, but can't even consistently make the playoffs like other conferences do. Then there are the laughable start times, 8pm and sometimes even 845 pm. Yeah - that's a lot of fun staying up well into the am on the east coast to watch garbage football between two 4-4 teams. Why would any school want that? And please don't get me started on the pac-12 network.

Also the pac 12 surviving this without the LA schools is practically down to zero. If we do manage to get out of this as the pac-10, or pac-8 it won't be pretty. Revenue will decline, facilities will fail to keep up with the rest of the nation and it will begin to hamper recruriting in football. Basketball however likely won't be afffected.

We need to collectively accept we really are not much better than the Mountain West Conference. And it's time for Arizona to leave.

KansasCityCats

The Big-12 has serious issues. The Longhorn network caused animosity and divided the conference. OU and UT will never split but they put a sour taste in everybody's mouth.

Since Larry Scott tarnished our reputation out West...one of these two conferences will "give in" and accept the others' leftovers. It isn't a secret that everybody is looking into the possibility of leaving (with the exception of the new Big-12 arrivals).

It'll be interesting to see whether we absorb a couple schools or if we jump...

JGthree

wow i really thought they would join the sec. there is going to be a 2 tier system in college sports which you can see with the future deals of abc and espn. i think zona have to rethink where they are going to stand when the rubber meets the road. pac12 has grown recently, especially if gonzaga joins but more like a further break up. sec is the way to go for me.

BearDownU - Menu