USC and UCLA Departing the Pac12

Started by arxpert, June 30, 2022, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxpert

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040548-usc-ucla-reportedly-planning-to-leave-pac-12-for-big-ten-by-2024

Other than the obvious initial reactions, who do you think the Pac12 will replace these teams with? I can't see Gonzaga stepping up into a Real Man's Conference. I don't think BYU would sell out either. The quality of the Conference is at stake now. This is about to become a Mid Major Conference.

https://twitter.com/AZDesertSwarm/status/1542674383625486337

Arizona and Arizona State to the Big 12 could ruin the conference for good.

Little George

Only fix would be to add SDSU and Fresno to keep close to the SoCal area

PAC is really dead since it cancelled the Oklahoma Oklahoma State jump a few years back.

No expansions means death sentence to the conference

Little George

Big 12 could use the Arizona schools and the SDSU Fresno ST would put them and us into the SoCal area.

arxpert

Quote from: Little George on June 30, 2022, 11:19:51 AM
Big 12 could use the Arizona schools and the SDSU Fresno ST would put them and us into the SoCal area.

Arizona needs to jump off the sinking ship asap.

Little George

Quote from: arxpert on June 30, 2022, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: Little George on June 30, 2022, 11:19:51 AM

Arizona needs to jump off the sinking ship asap.

Yes!

Now maybe adding Arizona asu Oregon and UDub would be smarter, but that SoCal recruiting is huge

Aokay

Drop all sports programs other than men's and women's hoops. Join the Big12+, build up a treasure chest, and in ten years, reevaluate the need to add back other programs, other than football. That program would never be able to recover once it's abandoned. We have to leave the Pac-Whatever. It's a money game. Recruits are going to demand being paid, well, and we can't do that unless we're in on the huge TV money. College sports have gone to hell in a hand basket. I think I may be done. It was a nice ride while it lasted.

Aokay

The thing is, Tucson is a piss ant market. Other than men's basketball, we have nothing of value to offer the mega conferences. If we're ignored by the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, it's over. We'll become irrelevant overnight, which would be sad, but entirely possible. Timing is everything. Having a floundering football program really puts us at a major disadvantage. To the victors go the spoils.

Little George

Quote from: Aokay on June 30, 2022, 03:08:34 PM
The thing is, Tucson is a piss ant market. Other than men's basketball, we have nothing of value to offer the mega conferences. If we're ignored by the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, it's over. We'll become irrelevant overnight, which would be sad, but entirely possible. Timing is everything. Having a floundering football program really puts us at a major disadvantage. To the victors go the spoils.

Do you think the SEC is big market?

The SEC is huge not because of big cities ( market areas) but because they have built something over time. Hell, Houston is one of the largest cities in the nation and Houston is finally getting into a P5 conference?
Look at Kansas Basketball. If our FB team can be regular bowl attendees we will be a good attraction for any conference. The PAC just sucked! We offer solid Basketball, WBB, Softball, Baseball, Golf, etc... and if FB can be consistent? RR almost had is there!

Aokay

Quote from: Little George on June 30, 2022, 03:29:22 PM
Quote from: Aokay on June 30, 2022, 03:08:34 PM

Do you think the SEC is big market?

The SEC is huge not because of big cities ( market areas) but because they have built something over time. Hell, Houston is one of the largest cities in the nation and Houston is finally getting into a P5 conference?
Look at Kansas Basketball. If our FB team can be regular bowl attendees we will be a good attraction for any conference. The PAC just sucked! We offer solid Basketball, WBB, Softball, Baseball, Golf, etc... and if FB can be consistent? RR almost had is there!

I'm looking at the here and now. The SEC, well established because of football, can pick and choose the schools they want to share revenue with, as do the other mega conferences. They're settled. They already have the big-bucks TV contracts, regardless of the individual markets. We're on the outside looking in. On this day, June 30, 2022, the only thing of value, the only enticement we can offer is our Men's BB program. Will that be enough for an invite? I sure hope so, but I'm not optimistic.

CatInFL

I really don't see any school out there that"s available and adds similar value to what is being lost, but then I thought the same about Utah.  This loss, and the losses that follow, as someone else said, create a mid major conference.  Thank you Larry "the incompetent turd" Scott, this IS your legacy.

On the other hand, if we can land somewhere solid, the sky is the limit.

BearDownU - Menu