Caleb Love is one of the main reasons we lost to Clemson

Started by WILD, March 28, 2024, 07:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KansasCityCats

Absolutely. Look at the old threads of "who should take the last shot?"  I always viewed him as a Trier player; he cares more about being the focal point than finding the best shot/opportunity for the team.

However when he's hot, he's unstoppable. Too bad he hasn't had one of those outings since the Oregon game in January.

CatInFL

I disagree.....kinda.  Shot selection and 0-9 were definitely devastating, but the plan (which seems to be the norm in the modern game) was the problem.  Consistent teams have always and will always be built around play in the paint (big men and slashing guards) and/or elite shooters (which there are very few of in the history of the game).  When you are cold from inside you still shoot 50% and maintain your equilibrium. When you go cold from outside you shoot 18% and struggle to accomplish anything.  So to base the expectation of winning on hitting 3 pointers is a lot like playing poker and expecting to win by consistently chasing inside straights. Both are fun when they work, but both will lead to bad losses.

I felt we were in trouble when we took 35 3s against Long Beach.  We were just too big and too strong for them.  That should have been a 30-40 point blow out, but guess what: if we had hit 18% from 3 we'd have scored 21 fewer points. We won by 20. 

Consistency requires making decisions that are likely to lead to consistent results.  Without an elite shooter, 3 ponters just don't lead to consistency. In the last 40 years we have maybe two of those at U of A (and that might be generous). I don't have the stats handy, but I don't think those teams shot as many threes as our teams of the last decade.  That is why I hate the 3.

AZip

As bad....really bad was AZ..how did we even get close and actually went ahead...sad
A Z i p

CatInFL

Quote from: AZip on March 29, 2024, 12:00:03 AMAs bad....really bad was AZ..how did we even get close and actually went ahead...sad

We lost to team that isn't really very good.

Jdmarti

I really like caleb an glad he transfered  here, but I couldn't  belive how bad his misses  from 3 were a majority  of his 9 3 pointers  were not even close.

All year I felt like  he depended too much from 3 instead of driving too the hoop with his athletic ability.

He made 5 shots tonight they all came
Close to the hoop, I felt like he needed  to do that more all year.

|ᴘ|ʀ|ʏ|ᴍ|ᴇ|

Quote from: Jdmarti on March 30, 2024, 03:40:16 PMAll year I felt like he depended too much from 3 instead of driving too the hoop with his athletic ability.

Yes, and it makes no sense. If he wanted to showcase himself for the NBA, that would have been a good way to do it.

I wonder if the Allonzo Trier haters miss Allonzo Trier yet.

mvpreed2

ESPN ruined the outcome of the game for me because I was at work, so I did not see a second of it.
If I were Lloyd, watching Love shoot a 3PT runner with more than enough time to get into his usual 2-3 dribble midrange pull-up?

The next dead ball would have sent someone in for him to we could have a conversation.
Love said he wanted to be coached hard?
I would have ripped him in half right there on the sideline.
No, you don't get to walk past me Caleb.
Stand here so I can grill you for 2-3mins, and then I am going to let you marinate on the bench until the next media timeout.
Then I turn and ask you, "Are you ready to play now?"
That would have lit a fire under his *** so big he might have came out and torched the court!

None of that happened, Arizona lost and we are sitting here again wondering when Arizona is going to get back to an Elite Eight after Lloyd has had two teams that were good enough to make it that far.
That "C" word is beginning to come into conversation when talking about Lloyd.
#BearDown
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

FOOS

Quote from: mvpreed2 on April 02, 2024, 01:27:35 PMESPN ruined the outcome of the game for me because I was at work, so I did not see a second of it.
If I were Lloyd, watching Love shoot a 3PT runner with more than enough time to get into his usual 2-3 dribble midrange pull-up?

The next dead ball would have sent someone in for him to we could have a conversation.
Love said he wanted to be coached hard?
I would have ripped him in half right there on the sideline.
No, you don't get to walk past me Caleb.
Stand here so I can grill you for 2-3mins, and then I am going to let you marinate on the bench until the next media timeout.
Then I turn and ask you, "Are you ready to play now?"
That would have lit a fire under his *** so big he might have came out and torched the court!

None of that happened, Arizona lost and we are sitting here again wondering when Arizona is going to get back to an Elite Eight after Lloyd has had two teams that were good enough to make it that far.
That "C" word is beginning to come into conversation when talking about Lloyd.
#BearDown

Same conversation he should have had with Bos.  Spot on Mike

BearDownU - Menu