Coaching flexibility

Started by Johnny-bravo, March 22, 2018, 09:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny-bravo

I am a fan of coach Miller, but I do wish he would be more flexible in adjusting to the needs of his team.  Below is a link to a good article from ESPN regarding Duke's shift to a zone defense this year because his players weren't committed/able to stop players playing man-to man.

Imagine if Miller had done the same.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22847137/ncaa-tournament-duke-blue-devils-mimic-syracuse-orange-2-3-zone-sweet-16

BDMT

I'm a big supporter of Miller also and would like to see him adjust sometimes. I believe it is best have more than one tool in your tool box or you become predictable.  Throw a curve ball once in awhile and see what happens. I'm talking about more than one  possession to.

abroadcats

I thought of us when I read that report as well. Things might have been different if we at least gave a try. Hope, CSM develops some flexibility in terms of that in the upcoming year
#BearDown

Bear

I thought I had read somewhere, possibly on this sight, that Miller talked with Boheim about their zone. Maybe it was wishful thinking that we would entertain running zone. Romar was here. Maybe that was wishful thinking too that he would open up the offense.

While we see him as rigid, it could be argued that he has been trying to adapt but his skill set isn't honed enough at this point to eke out those extra inches we are falling short. And then 3 losses in a row and other adversity come along and you can't see the light so it's easier to revert to what you know. Tough battle I would wager but one he needs to put serious work in to get over the hurdles.

But before we get to zone defense, I would personally like to see much better fundamentals and heart. Pick and roll was more like pick and watch. We didn't roll with the ball handler or rotate to open corners well. As Bill Walton pointed out, banana passes. Heck, ayton couldn't even get a low post pass without jumping for it. What can any other team feed the post but us?  Taking the open shots instead of mandatory passes. Off ball movement. Telegraphed offensive set. I think we made progress against the 2-3 but the 3-2 was a giant wtf. And confidence. Some of the best plays this year was Dusan saying screw it i'm taking these open 3's. Watch Miller on the sideline and he looks ready to explode and then bottoms. Miller can't take these kids confidence away.

PBCatfan

Totally agree and it has bothered me for years. We need to be able to run zone to protect players who can't or won't move their feet on defense. Miller thus far has been either unable or unwilling to teach zone defense. Thru failure maybe he has/will learn that flexibility is the difference between a good coach and a great one.

ZippyZ

This season is on Miller. Put Ayton on any other team in America and they are top 10.

talj1@juno.com

Are you really going to blame a team that cant or wont play defense on Miller?  Did you not see how frustrated he was with these guys.  Did you not watch Buffalo repeatedly get layups and open threes against us.  The truth is none of our starters could play D not even Ayton or Rawle.  All pathetic defenders.  End of story.  If anything Miller did a great job getting our offense to the level it was but then you see what happens when we play anyone with a decent Defense...

01Cats

Agree taj our defense was pathetic all year. We had the athletes but lacked the will to dig down and stop the opposing players. Hopefully miller goes back to getting defenders the offensive experiment was a good change but not worth if

Johnny-bravo

I don't buy this no heart or will crap.  I guarantee every player believes they gave their best most of the time.  They lack the skill or talent or knowledge to defend well in Miller's scheme.  Miller could have adjusted, as Duke did.  Personally I think it was a skill issue.  Players got beat by guards with quicker lateral movement.

Deandre was an awesome defender, he was just expected to cover too much territory.  No offensive rhythm or off ball movement killed us on offense.

Naterade

the vast majority of Millers teams have been great defensively.  So because the last couple years have been rough we need to throw in the towel and play zone? Fug that man, zone is for quakers. Accepting flopping as part of the game is the same damn thing, giving in.