ASU The New Nova

Started by jumpinjohnny, December 10, 2017, 02:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naterade

I really hate Jeff Goodman. And not just because he has the face of a cartoon junk yard dog.

Lutesguitar

Quote from: Naterade on December 11, 2017, 03:02:22 PM
I really hate Jeff Goodman. And not just because he has the face of a cartoon junk yard dog.

There is no other sports journalist who consistently shits on his Alma Mater as much as Goodman, given a choice between Hitler and UA I am convinced he'd choose Hitler.

CatinBama

Asu has had a good run so far, I really give them credit for what they've done. Basketball season is so long though. Just like a game, the season can be built on runs. Since they've never really been in this position I think the pressure will catch up to them in Pac-12 play. They are bound to hit some sort of slump. Arizona, Ucla, and Oregon (recently) have been through it year in and out and know how to take care of business when it comes to crunch time. Can asu overcome the hard times they may face 2-3 months from now??

Keithjacksontucson

ASU won some good wins. They deserve the acclaim, however......

1 Kansas at this point in the season is not playing well, re their loss to Washington the game before.
They will be good , but like Arizona they need time to get over injuries , suspensions and young players
2 ASU will now have to play as the huge favorite, which as Arizona knows is a different experience, re NC State
Teams will play wildly over their heads, spilling  blood on the floor because they're playing a top 5, on paper, team.
Arizona has had to deal with this every game , every year , and still have multiple 30 win seasons
3 ASUs Kenpom defensive efficiency is 154.(AZ is 54, but improving) They allow 1.03 points per possession . That will come back to bite them like it did Duke
especially on the road
4 They play a very small lineup, three of their starters are under 6'1", and depend heavily on the 3 pointer. That can go south quickly.
They have only decent size in the interior 6'8' and 6'9". Everybody but Parker is bigger than their guys
5 Arizona will play them as the underdog. I really like Arizona as the underdog
Coach Miller will probably play a smaller lineup a lot
6 The McKale crowd will be completely insane

Lutesguitar

I for one am glad ASU is finally becoming something of a worthy opponent, and to be fair I like Holder he's a good kid has worked hard and been through a lot  and yet maintained a positive attitude...(I despise Hurley though)...

The plus side to having a decent ASU is they are our traveling partner and now teams cannot simply ignore them and ONLY game plan for the Wildcats like the last many years...the road games might even turn in our favor as teams gear up for two completely different styles of play from them and us, you simply cannot prepare for someone like Ayton...so I expect to see him pretty much doubled/tripled in all of our road games and he's one of the best passers on our team...it will help us to start making threes more consistently so its a plus.

As far as us playing ASU...they have no one who can guard either him or Ristic...if we defend the three and don't foul (the Alabama game was good to teach us not to foul on the drive) it will be an easy win...if we DON'T ramp up our transition defense we can get in a hole in a hurry...but if we control the pace and slug it out they go down without a fight.

I expect them to play circus ball...and I also expect Hurley to have some kind of mouthy episode before the game to ramp up his guys and make it personal...but Miller has had Hurleys number since he got to the desert, you can bet he won't let them win.

GoCatZ

This is shaping up to be the best UofA Vs ASU match-up of this century. I can't believe beating them will mean more than just bragging rights and I can't wait.  BearDown!

Titan4Wildcats

I find myself wondering about the Xavier win.  If there's the possibility that Xavier did one of those...these guys haven't played anyone, we can beat them easily.  We don't even have to work up a sweat.  Kansas was a no brainer...they aren't that good this year.  No size up front, small team, and as Coach Self said, "We're slow".  That in itself is odd.  Usually the small teams are the ones that are running like their hair is on fire.  Possible Self didn't recruit so well this year?  I can't say as I didn't watch either game because the only time I want to see A$$U is when we're beating them.  But since Hurley is running a five man team, this won't last.  They'll wear down soon.  Plus, all it takes is one off game and the chemistry break down will happen.  Plus, how long can a team be serious when they see the "Insect Hunter" walking the sidelines hunting and pecking?

Keithjacksontucson

I guarantee one thing. Fans will not rush the floor if the Cats beat them here

FOOS

Like all of us - I despise ASU.  I do however, respect what Hurley has done with his talent.  We are deeper and bigger, but it's out D that concerns me the most.  It's like they have a Sexton type guard in (Holder) then 2 others that can shoot.  They are going to spread the floor and force us to play perimeter D.  We cannot sellout the paint and allow them to crash the rim.  IMO - Trier, PJC and Rawle will have to play stellar D for us to win