Allsports reports Akinjo cleared

Started by ichi, September 01, 2020, 01:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichi

http://allsportstucson.com/2020/09/01/uas-akinjo-gets-waiver-to-play-right-away-for-cats/

Quote"First, I want to thank God and my family along with compliance for helping me with this long process," Akinjo said in a statement from Arizona. "I want to thank my coaches and teammates for supporting me through this process. And finally, I want to thank the NCAA for giving me immediate eligibility for this season. I can't wait to get out there with my teammates from the start. Bear Down!"

Akinjo, a native of Oakland, California, was named BIG EAST Freshman of the Year in the 2018-19 season while playing for Georgetown. He averaged 13.4 points and 5.2 assists and was named conference freshman of the week four times. He scored a career-high 25 points on two separate occasions and also handed out 11 assists against Creighton as a freshman.

Akinjo appeared in seven games for the Hoyas during the 2019-20 season before transferring to Arizona. He was not eligible to compete in games during the Spring 2020 semester due to NCAA transfer rules but was able to practice with the Wildcats.

now to fit in and lead

Bear Down Arizona

"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

Deb

Ncaa finally does AZ a good thing in granting immediate eligibility to Akinjo - and the jokes on us cuz Larry wont let him play til January anyway.

ichi

CBS is saying the current discussions are Nov 25 and Dec 4 to start playing, we'll see
"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

Little George

Felt this was coming all along, but like said prior, Larry Scott screwed it up either way.

KansasCityCats

Glad he's cleared, although there are bigger favors to ask of the NCAA. 

Jdmarti

Glad to hear it I just hope Arizona  can start earlier than January  or it won't  matter.

mvpreed2

The optimistic thing to say would be that I am glad that he is going to be available to go from the jump.
We are going to need his leadership with us leaning on so many new bodies coming in this season.

The pessimistic thing to say would be that I do not believe we are going to be able successfully pull off an entire basketball season.
The American greed to try and force things to get back to normal is going to be biggest hurdle because not everyone is taking this as serious as others.
With JA (and myself) being from Northern California, and him going to school in Arizona, are two of the states that have the highest rates of virus infection if you choose to believe the numbers are accurate.
I believe the numbers are heavily skewed, but I do believe that this is real and CA/AZ are hotbeds.

I want to be wrong and hope that 45 and the American government can be able to come up with a nation-wide order instead of leaving each state to operate independently.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

BearDownU - Menu