Kansas, a Look Ahead for Tommy

Started by arxpert, January 06, 2024, 02:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxpert

Kansas survives a meltdown after seemingly throwing the game away vs TCU. TCU, up 2pts gets the steal in this clip off a bad entry pass in the final minute and goes out on the fast break. Dickenson sells the flop and the refs stop the play well after the ball in going up court in transition.

The Jayhawk Mascot's reaction says it all. Anyone who watched the game knows what happened. This is why it is important to be engaged while Coaching. Tommy needs to understand you can't just stand there with your arms folded all day. Bill Self is going to eat him alive.

https://twitter.com/TheFieldOf68/status/1743744081040150634

KansasCityCats

TCU was robbed. The refs stopped play when TCU had a fast break, despite the fact that Dickinson was trying to get off the ground. They made an awful Flagrant 1 call (that Raftery disagreed with) and then missed a blatant travel on Dickinson for the game winning lay in.

KU tried to give this game away against a lesser opponent and the refs prevented the upset.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 06, 2024, 03:19:35 PMTCU was robbed. The refs stopped play when TCU had a fast break, despite the fact that Dickinson was trying to get off the ground. They made an awful Flagrant 1 call (that Raftery disagreed with) and then missed a blatant travel on Dickinson for the game winning lay in.

KU tried to give this game away against a lesser opponent and the refs prevented the upset.

I watched the game. I know what happened and how it went down. We all do. However, Bill Self coached his team to victory. The history books always remember the winners regardless of how skeezy. lowdown, and scandalous they are. Especially in NCAA sports where you can taketh away as many wins as you want after the fact, but the games were still played whether you like it or not.

KansasCityCats

I think Bill Self is likely the best coach in college basketball but Dixon outcoached  him for the second consecutive year in Lawrence. Horned Frogs deserves the win.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 06, 2024, 05:23:47 PMI think Bill Self is likely the best coach in college basketball but Dixon outcoached  him for the second consecutive year in Lawrence. Horned Frogs deserves the win.

I agree, but being Wholesome didn't get it done for Dixon.

arxpert

Kansas will be #1 because Bill Self is the best coach in College. He worked the refs and stole a win. Now we are stuck with Kansas being the greatest story in College Basketball until someone can knock them off.

Our program under Tommy will not reach a 1 seed level again unless we win out. Maybe 1 stumble if other teams stumble, but the point is without the ghoulish tenacity, we are going no where.

In fact, if I were ranking I would put Houston at #1.

ZonaBBB

"Kansas will be #1 because Bill Self is the best coach in College. He worked the refs and stole a win. Now we are stuck with Kansas being the greatest story in College Basketball until someone can knock them off.

Our program under Tommy will not reach a 1 seed level again unless we win out. Maybe 1 stumble if other teams stumble, but the point is without the ghoulish tenacity, we are going no where.

In fact, if I were ranking I would put Houston at #1."

Classic nothing being said.

arxpert

Quote from: ZonaBBB on January 10, 2024, 04:51:05 AM"Kansas will be #1 because Bill Self is the best coach in College. He worked the refs and stole a win. Now we are stuck with Kansas being the greatest story in College Basketball until someone can knock them off.

In fact, if I were ranking I would put Houston at #1."

Classic nothing being said.

By you.

By me - I said the truth. We aren't what we thought we were. No where close.

KansasCityCats

True. Arizona is actually "better" than we thought. Preseason ranking was #12 and we're now #8. We don't all have the same expectations as you. I'm sure it was #1 or bust when you watched Miller's teams. 

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 10, 2024, 04:48:59 PMTrue. Arizona is actually "better" than we thought. Preseason ranking was #12 and we're now #8. We don't all have the same expectations as you. I'm sure it was #1 or bust when you watched Miller's teams. 

1. Preseason Polls and Pundits ---> Invalid. Always has been. Always will be. So we can just toss that point of debate right in the garbage.

2. I am reasonable. Miller fulfilled my expectations. Pac12 Titles, Conference Banners. Top Recruits. Some March Madness success. In that order. All satisfactory to me. Entertaining product on the court. Always engaged on the sidelines. Never said die. Never lost the locker room no matter how much heat was on him. Never paid a player. Never has. Never will.

3. Tommy is not far off in some ways, but he is in others. I've given him credit and appreciation. Much to some people's disdain, I have been fair to Tommy. He got his flowers when credit was due. He also got criticism when fair. However, the fact of the matter is no one has ever began their Head Coaching career with a free head start like Tommy. At least in the modern era. I can't think of anyone. And don't say Scheyer of Duke. Tommy has had way more to work with than he did. Exponentially more.