Robbins to cut funding

Started by CactusCat, November 07, 2023, 06:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CactusCat

Robbins will make "Draconian cuts" to budgets and blames athletics in an all hands on deck meeting today.
Ouch!
For a bunch of smart individuals it seems like a series of very bad over sights at best.

https://tucson.com/news/local/education/college/university-of-arizona-tucson-budget-cuts/article_1dd77a46-7d96-11ee-ac38-ef7fe0919160.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
"You guys over estimate how smart i am ." -t. lloyd

Little George

Real issues around finances have only grown bigger with expanded costs of inflation. There is no magic wand to fix anything. I only hope we do not see the athletic dept leased out or cut to pieces.

arxpert

Quote from: Little George on November 07, 2023, 09:57:20 PMReal issues around finances have only grown bigger with expanded costs of inflation. There is no magic wand to fix anything. I only hope we do not see the athletic dept leased out or cut to pieces.

This entire article has me disconsolate and crestfallen.

Cut costs/spending/budgets?????????????? LOL.

https://uair.arizona.edu/content/revenue-expenditures

I think that anyone who has a receipt for paying for Tuition should be entitled to a % of dividends in relation to total credits paid for every single Academic Session. (i.e. Fall, Winter, Spring, Pre-Summer, Summer 1, Summer 2, Online etc).

It is absurd to hear something as Ghoulish as we need to make DRACONIAN cuts

CactusCat

It really is disappointing.
They are just one in a series of West Coast schools dealing with budget issues. WSU is running on a skeleton crew in their athletic department for example and UCLA's woes are well publicized.

I had hoped AZ would keep things in check but Robbins apparently not even being aware of the problem until recently in this financial environment is deeply concerning.
"You guys over estimate how smart i am ." -t. lloyd

|ᴘ|ʀ|ʏ|ᴍ|ᴇ|

We're a football school now, so I doubt anyone would be disappointed if we cut the basketball program.

Little George

FB and BB money now matters more than ever.
Bowl games and deep tourney runs bring more money!
Just saying

94FinalFour

Does no one here realize that the Athletic Department budget is completely separate and distinct from any academic budgets?  Athletics literally has its own department and handles its own affairs separate from what Robbins is in charge of... Robbins may still be President and can hire the AD, but the AD and Athletics pay for themselves.

Draconian cuts may be coming to the University, but not to the athletic department.  Had we failed to jump the PAC12 ship and go to the BIG12, yes... we very well could have been in he same boat with the likes of WSU, who has real problems to survive.  But our athletic department will be fine, at least until the next major realignment.

Little George

Quote from: 94FinalFour on November 09, 2023, 08:55:53 AMDoes no one here realize that the Athletic Department budget is completely separate and distinct from any academic budgets?  Athletics literally has its own department and handles its own affairs separate from what Robbins is in charge of... Robbins may still be President and can hire the AD, but the AD and Athletics pay for themselves.

Draconian cuts may be coming to the University, but not to the athletic department.  Had we failed to jump the PAC12 ship and go to the BIG12, yes... we very well could have been in he same boat with the likes of WSU, who has real problems to survive.  But our athletic department will be fine, at least until the next major realignment.

Yes, but the perception speaks when a school is having financial issues and building their sports programs.

WILD

My questions is then why is Robbins talking about cutting certain sports if there's a separate budget for the athletic department?

I'm hearing we lost a lot of money due to the COVID pandemic and we were in a similar situation budget wise back in 2013.

arxpert

Quote from: WILD on November 09, 2023, 12:35:27 PMMy questions is then why is Robbins talking about cutting certain sports if there's a separate budget for the athletic department?

I'm hearing we lost a lot of money due to the COVID pandemic and we were in a similar situation budget wise back in 2013.

There's no way we lost money in the pandemic and every other school didn't if that's the case so I am not even shook by that thought.

I also don't think anything about this should have any attention on the sports programs. We are not IMG Academy. This is a massive public college.

There is definitely shady stuff going on with these "free tuition for Dreamers" nonsense. Stinks of kickbacks and tax breaks.

The school is not hemorrhaging money. It is profitable.

The only Draconian cuts that need to happen are the salaries of the ghouls.

Classes are bigger, tuition is higher. There are more avenues for profit than ever (online school).