For everyone

Started by Little George, October 29, 2023, 12:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little George

I know in the past some have been offended by things I have said.
I know some on here make it a point to offend others by choice.
Others are just offended by anything that blows by in the breeze.
I want to suggest a few thing to try to smoothe things out a little.

1. Think before you speak (type). There rules there are to be NO personal attacks. I have never been some one to ban someone else. The personal attacks will soon push me to that point if they continue.

2. Before you take offense or react, think about what you are lowering yourself to do. Doesn't matter what anyone says there is supposed to be free speech. With that comes the responsibility to be accountable for your own actions, or words.

3. We are all (mostly) Arizona Wildcat fans, but all very different as individuals.. self respect might demand respecting others as well. All the BS about tolerance, acceptance, and diversity are wrong when it comes to silencing others who have different opinions. We can agree to disagree without personal attacks. If not, we need to evaluate our own thoughts and actions. One of the reasons people leave this board is because of these attacks, or just feeling unwanted. Our board is for Wildcat fans! Some of our similarities end right there.

Now I have addressed our words used, our reactions to those words used, and our unity as Wildcat fans in comparison to what some on this board have to deal with simply because they dare to think differently.

I hope that this is worded the right way. It was not intended to offend. I often find that when I am offended by others that they do not know they have offended me, or I have let someone else's venting get under my skin. Not asking anyone to kiss and make up, but just to think before posting. This is everywhere on the site.

Thanks all

Bear Down

arxpert

Quote from: Little George on October 29, 2023, 12:10:27 PMI know in the past some have been offended by things I have said.

1. Think before you speak (type). There rules there are to be NO personal attacks. I have never been some one to ban someone else. The personal attacks will soon push me to that point if they continue.

2. Before you take offense or react, think about what you are lowering yourself to do. Doesn't matter what anyone says there is supposed to be free speech. With that comes the responsibility to be accountable for your own actions, or words.

3. We are all (mostly) Arizona Wildcat fans, but all very different as individuals.. self respect might demand respecting others as well. All the BS about tolerance, acceptance, and diversity are wrong when it comes to silencing others who have different opinions. We can agree to disagree without personal attacks. If not, we need to evaluate our own thoughts and actions. One of the reasons people leave this board is because of these attacks, or just feeling unwanted. Our board is for Wildcat fans! Some of our similarities end right there.

Now I have addressed our words used, our reactions to those words used, and our unity as Wildcat fans in comparison to what some on this board have to deal with simply because they dare to think differently.

I hope that this is worded the right way. It was not intended to offend. I often find that when I am offended by others that they do not know they have offended me, or I have let someone else's venting get under my skin. Not asking anyone to kiss and make up, but just to think before posting. This is everywhere on the site.

Thanks all

Bear Down

I believe there is a difference in trying to debate someone's sports opinion and someone just acting like they can go off unhinged, using obscenities, going insane and losing their mind because they do not want to tolerate someone else.

Having a different sports opinion or being a contrarian is not offensive.

It happens every day whether you watch First Take, Undisputed or any platform. There are Skip Bayless's, Shannon Sharpes, Michael Irvins, Colin Cowherds out there. They may say stuff you don't agree with or that sounds a little wild about players, coaches and teams that can tilt fans (usually on purpose for ratings), but they aren't saying things like "F-YOU, SUCK MY ----, PIECE OF SH-----, etc".

There is a line. Freedom of speech is not legally afforded to those who are actively using words of escalation.

In fact, the real law states:

Fighting words are words meant to incite violence and are not be protected free speech under the First Amendment --- as words which "by their very utterance, inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace.

Since we are on the internet, the focus here is Breach Of Peace. Words that fly around here would be "Fighting Words" in real life. Hiding behind a keyboard doesn't change that.

When people cross that line and breach the peace with such phrasing or words, it should not be tolerated at all.

Everyone is responsible for what they say (write/type).

Feeling provoked into it or some people saying "oh they had it coming because I don't like how they defend _____ and bash _____" (USING SPORTS COMMENTARY) is not an excuse.

You don't have to like someone nor their opinion.

These comments are generally on the Forum for a reason and not in the CBox. No one forces anyone to click on the content. If you click on it and choose to read it, then you are 100% responsible for your actions afterwards.

So penultimately, I really don't care what anyone thinks of anyone. If you want a sports debate, go ahead and sports debate. But if you can't do it without flying off the rails with your WORDS, then you just have to go. This forum will grow if it can keep a modicum of respectful debate. It will get a bad reputation if it is known for being a place to spew Fighting Words and Hate Speech.

That's my stance. I don't care how much a sports opinion can get under a fan's skin. You can simply say "I DON'T AGREE." or "YOU ARE WRONG", and leave it at that if something burns so deep down inside of you or lives in your mind rent free that you MUST make a comment.

Have some decency and learn how to cope with people who don't conform to your version of reality. Or don't and keep it to yourself.

arxpert

PS - LG:

I would suggest posting a tutorial on how to "Ignore People". I would do it, but I am not currently a Mod and I think that falls into the Mod spectrum.

It is a setting on this site and not easily findable for members who don't take the time to look around.

Setting up an ignore list will save a lot of issues.

I wish there was a flat out "Block" function, but I take what I can get.

FCat

Quote from: arxpert on October 29, 2023, 09:57:07 PM
Quote from: Little George on October 29, 2023, 12:10:27 PMI know in the past some have been offended by things I have said.

Thanks all

Bear Down

I believe there is a difference in trying to debate someone's sports opinion and someone just acting like they can go off unhinged, using obscenities, going insane and losing their mind because they do not want to tolerate someone else.

Having a different sports opinion or being a contrarian is not offensive.

It happens every day whether you watch First Take, Undisputed or any platform. There are Skip Bayless's, Shannon Sharpes, Michael Irvins, Colin Cowherds out there. They may say stuff you don't agree with or that sounds a little wild about players, coaches and teams that can tilt fans (usually on purpose for ratings), but they aren't saying things like "F-YOU, SUCK MY ----, PIECE OF SH-----, etc".

There is a line. Freedom of speech is not legally afforded to those who are actively using words of escalation.

In fact, the real law states:

Fighting words are words meant to incite violence and are not be protected free speech under the First Amendment --- as words which "by their very utterance, inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace.

Since we are on the internet, the focus here is Breach Of Peace. Words that fly around here would be "Fighting Words" in real life. Hiding behind a keyboard doesn't change that.

When people cross that line and breach the peace with such phrasing or words, it should not be tolerated at all.

Everyone is responsible for what they say (write/type).

Feeling provoked into it or some people saying "oh they had it coming because I don't like how they defend _____ and bash _____" (USING SPORTS COMMENTARY) is not an excuse.

You don't have to like someone nor their opinion.

These comments are generally on the Forum for a reason and not in the CBox. No one forces anyone to click on the content. If you click on it and choose to read it, then you are 100% responsible for your actions afterwards.

So penultimately, I really don't care what anyone thinks of anyone. If you want a sports debate, go ahead and sports debate. But if you can't do it without flying off the rails with your WORDS, then you just have to go. This forum will grow if it can keep a modicum of respectful debate. It will get a bad reputation if it is known for being a place to spew Fighting Words and Hate Speech.

That's my stance. I don't care how much a sports opinion can get under a fan's skin. You can simply say "I DON'T AGREE." or "YOU ARE WRONG", and leave it at that if something burns so deep down inside of you or lives in your mind rent free that you MUST make a comment.

Have some decency and learn how to cope with people who don't conform to your version of reality. Or don't and keep it to yourself.

Pot, meet kettle.

BearDownU - Menu