Adia Barnes was just on the radio and said Kailyn Gilbert left the program

Started by WILD, February 26, 2024, 05:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KansasCityCats

It's a bummer because it took years before she finally developed a shot. She's a solid all around player but realistically, Arizona won its last three games against quality opponents without her. We'll be fine.

Deb

All the talent leaving Adia's program is concerning. What is she down to, six players now? She lost half her team.

A shame she has such bad luck in finding the right fit.  ::)

WerderBremen

I struggle to put a positive spin on this development. Yes, the team is playing better without her. She was a ball hog and ball movement is much better without her. But for me the bigger picture is what concerns me.  It is being said that recruiting is a marathon and not a sprint. Furthermore it usually takes about 1-2 years to see a trickledown effect from a positive event such as a coaching change or as in our example a national championship game. Adia's reputation after the final was outstanding and as a result she managed to get some high quality players to commit in the summer of 2022. She managed to lose pretty much all of them within a year or two.

Clark – ranked 21st, McDonald's girl

Hylton – ranked 85th

Nnaji – ranked 9th

Gilbert – ranked 31st

Plus Chandler, AZ native Madi Conner who at some point this season made more three pointers than Caitlin Clark and is averaging more than 20 points this season. Two of those girls left the team in the middle of the season !!!! Can you imagine the uproar if Lloyd loses Carter and Philipps in the middle of next season?

Now the picture that is being painted is that cancer is removed and there are very good reasons why we needed to get rid of these girls. But even if that is the case and we just ignore Nnaji's tweet of a poisonous atmosphere, it still reflects negatively on Adia. She picked those girls. If they are lazy, smoke weed, don't play defense, or whatever else is being suggested, it is up to Adia to fix that or don't recruit them in the first place.

I am convinced that Adia is step by step ruining her good reputation. It will get tougher and tougher for her to get those highly rated recruits, because of course they hear things......

arxpert

How many times do I need to spell it out? Adia is the problem. She needs to go.

WILD

Quote from: arxpert on February 27, 2024, 12:32:34 PMHow many times do I need to spell it out? Adia is the problem. She needs to go.

Like it Adia converted a program that struggling at the bottom of the pac12 to a top tier competitor.  She's propelled Arizona WBB to heights never before seen. Not to mention that we were 1 shot away from winning the national championship.

Adia's not going anywhere anytime soon

KansasCityCats

In addition to being one of Arizona's most successful players in history. As long as she wants to stay (and the program is relevant) Adia will be in Tucson.

arxpert

Quote from: WILD on February 27, 2024, 02:36:09 PM
Quote from: arxpert on February 27, 2024, 12:32:34 PMHow many times do I need to spell it out? Adia is the problem. She needs to go.

Like it Adia converted a program that struggling at the bottom of the pac12 to a top tier competitor.  She's propelled Arizona WBB to heights never before seen. Not to mention that we were 1 shot away from winning the national championship.

Adia's not going anywhere anytime soon

Like it or not, I do not have to support Adia Barnes. I believe she rode the back of Ari to that Final Game and she had no talent as a coach to be able to draw up the winning shot. She has done nothing worthy since and just about every player has some sort of "Escaping Adia Barnes" Netflix Level documentary story. There is something that is going on with her that is very ghoulish it it's own way. I won't put any accusation out there as to what I truly suspect, but I believe that things have a way of surfacing when the time is right and I won't be surprised at all. Not one bit.

Now onto my actual take on the comment itself.

I agree overall, the program reached a new height from being 100% irrelevant just in time to have a puncher's chance with the rising popularity of Women's College Basketball. So the next moves are extremely important to not mess up. You know who also was able to navigate important games to a final shot or possession? Sean Miller. The most under appreciated Head Coach in University of Arizona Sports history. Whether it be watching moments where we lost on buzzer beaters or watching Sean Draw up plays to get someone like a Koloko or Josh Green to the line and they miss FTs in the regular season, Miller always had us in prime position. 3 Elite 8s lost on basically 1 shot or so. Never blown out when it mattered as a High Seed. Competitive at worst even in the underseeded Xavier loss. And ultimately Miller was terminated over an entire stain of a scandal that amounted to absolutely nothing while 1 year removed all of that which transpired became officially Legal and not just Legal, but promoted, expected, and REWARDED (Bill Self). Go FIGURE. I hope Miller ends up using Xavier as a stepping stone again and gets back to a true Blue Chip where he belongs. Heck he did far more damage in March Madness with a rag tag group of 3 Star Nobodies than Tommy did last year and Sean's Players got to the Sweet 16 under Tommy, but due to how Tommy coaches got their asses whooped big time.

If I have to read a comment like this about Adia then I think everyone should have to see a comment like this in response.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on February 27, 2024, 02:52:39 PMIn addition to being one of Arizona's most successful players in history. As long as she wants to stay (and the program is relevant) Adia will be in Tucson.

Well if your goal was to make me crestfallen tonight, than you have succeeded. I am crestfallen at the thought of Adia having a pseudo life-time contract in Tucson. However I have a suspicion that things will find their way to the surface sooner than later with her.

I will live to fight another day.