Bradley Beal has been traded to to the suns for

Started by GoCatZ, June 18, 2023, 02:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoCatZ

arxpert

Quote from: GoCatZ on June 18, 2023, 02:31:16 PMhttps://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1670529647023468545

Huge get for the Suns!

Thankfully Ishiba had the common sense to get rid of Monty Williams and CP3 in the process. If it were up to me, I wouldn't trade Ayton this summer unless there was some crazy haul which we all know isn't coming. I would take at least the first half of this season to get Ayton coached up by Frank Vogel and see if he can unlock some of the potential that Monty and CP3 suppressed. CP3 used Ayton like a human shield for a "lob city" approach as if he were Deandre Jordan on the Clippers. It was pathetic. Ayton has more game than that. Give him a chance and if it's not working then make the move at the trade deadline and bolster up for the playoffs based on knowing what you need.

AZCatsFan

I agree with almost everything you provide in your assessment, but some of the lack of development rests on Ayton's lack of work ethic. I've watched him in person several times and he's isn't an "alpha" and takes numerous plays off throughout the game. He doesn't remotely play to his potential. Maybe under a new coach and some recent changes to the line up, he will reach his potential.

arxpert

Quote from: AZCatsFan on June 19, 2023, 10:28:43 AMI agree with almost everything you provide in your assessment, but some of the lack of development rests on Ayton's lack of work ethic. I've watched him in person several times and he's isn't an "alpha" and takes numerous plays off throughout the game. He doesn't remotely play to his potential. Maybe under a new coach and some recent changes to the line up, he will reach his potential.

I always say to friends that Ayton looks like the saddest 7'1" 250 100+ millionaire ever and also the most gentle. He doesn't play with a killer instinct. He doesn't "hurt" the rim. His swag factor is non-existent.

HOWEVER --- I truly believe the life has been sucked out of him in the past 2-3 seasons since the Finals appearance. Monty and Ayton clearly had issues that no one wanted to discuss publicly. I think Ayton has been VERY consistent and improving each season. The thing with the NBA is people often forget how young these players are even when they get their first contract extensions. Ayton is 24. He won't even be in the "Giannis/Embiid/Jokic" prime for another 3-5 years.

He needs to get his mind right and I am really hoping the Suns give him a chance to do it with Vogel. They are on a bit of a Timer now with the new CBA rules so their window is now about 3 Years, but even if/when KD is finished, if Ayton is developed then there is no reason that Booker and Ayton can't continue to find players to gravitate toward them.

If you are going to trade Ayton, you have to reach for the stars on a return. Otherwise you keep him and try to see what he can be without CP3 and Monty affecting him.

On the flip side - There is a scenario that may really help the Suns now that involves trading Ayton:

My Trade Proposal would be --->

Pacers Receive: Deandre Ayton
Bulls Receive: Chris Duarte, Jalen Stix Smith, Isaiah Todd or Jordan Goodwin (from the Beal trade), 2nd round pick (IND)
Suns Receive: Myles Turner, Alex Caruso, and #7 Overall in this coming draft (Could be used on Houston's Jarace Walker ---> Defense or any other prospect with upside)

It makes sense for all 3 teams. Indy has wanted Ayton the whole time and are hitting a point where they need to get serious with the young core. Mamba Mathurin has taken Duarte completely out of the rotation there and Turner made Jalen Smith irrelevant, so would Ayton. The Bulls aren't going to pay Caruso top dollar after next season to extend him now that he was 1st team All Defense (somehow) --- So they can get 2 low cost players that I believe have upside especially in their system.

Suns obviously break down Ayton into legitimate defenders including 1 Stellar Rookie which seemed to be a good piece of the formula for Denver this year. Caruso really thrived with Vogel as the HC of the Lakers too and it makes sense (Defense).