Sean Miller makes a statement

Started by WILD, June 01, 2020, 05:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jav

Racism is the catalyst for change in the way police are handled in the US.  Qualified immunity and police contracts that make discipline nearly impossible and completely hidden from the public is what needs to change.  Right now you can fire a cop for their behavior but because that determination is hidden the problem officer is just hired by another police force in a different city.

The way the police are set up right now it would be a miracle if they weren't corrupt.  And I don't believe in miracles.

jumpinjohnny

Quote from: Jav on June 09, 2020, 04:39:28 PM
Racism is the catalyst for change in the way police are handled in the US.  Qualified immunity and police contracts that make discipline nearly impossible and completely hidden from the public is what needs to change.  Right now you can fire a cop for their behavior but because that determination is hidden the problem officer is just hired by another police force in a different city.

The way the police are set up right now it would be a miracle if they weren't corrupt.  And I don't believe in miracles.

So if I understand your logic correctly, having built-in protections promotes corruption. The average person who seeks employment as an officer of the law does so because he or she pines for these protections, and once hired begins their sojourn of corruption? They're willing to risk their lives for these protections? You don't think they do it out of a sense that law and order promotes public safety, and in so doing, makes for a better place to live. According to your words, it would be a miracle if most cops weren't corrupt. Nothing could be further from the truth. Cops are our neighbors, fellow church goers, youth coaches, youth mentors and so much more. Your view, in my opinion, is myopic.

jumpinjohnny

Quote from: Jav on June 08, 2020, 02:45:36 PM
Kareem -
Racism in America is like dust in the air. It seems invisible — even if you're choking on it — until you let the sun in. Then you see it's everywhere. As long as we keep shining that light, we have a chance of cleaning it wherever it lands. But we have to stay vigilant, because it's always still in the air.

No offense, but this is a horrible metaphor. If you're choking on dust, you can bet it's visible, unless you're trapped in darkness.

Johnny-bravo

Quote from: jumpinjohnny on June 09, 2020, 07:27:24 PM

So if I understand your logic correctly, having built-in protections promotes corruption. The average person who seeks employment as an officer of the law does so because he or she pines for these protections, and once hired begins their sojourn of corruption? They're willing to risk their lives for these protections? You don't think they do it out of a sense that law and order promotes public safety, and in so doing, makes for a better place to live. According to your words, it would be a miracle if most cops weren't corrupt. Nothing could be further from the truth. Cops are our neighbors, fellow church goers, youth coaches, youth mentors and so much more. Your view, in my opinion, is myopic.
very fair points.  I've lived and worked in countries with pervasive corruption.  We don't have that here.  The vast majority are well intended public servants.  But I do believe we need to redefine what they do and how they do it.  More protect and serve and less imposing order.

jumpinjohnny

Quote from: Johnny-bravo on June 09, 2020, 08:53:21 PM

very fair points.  I've lived and worked in countries with pervasive corruption.  We don't have that here.  The vast majority are well intended public servants.  But I do believe we need to redefine what they do and how they do it.  More protect and serve and less imposing order.

No argument here.

Eurozona

Quote from: Johnny-bravo on June 09, 2020, 09:46:54 AM
Quote from: jumpinjohnny on June 09, 2020, 09:28:08 AM
Quote from: ichi on June 08, 2020, 10:43:51 AM
Quote from: Johnny-bravo on June 07, 2020, 09:44:33 PM
I don't think it's pandering. Sorry you see it that way.  Glad he spoke up.  Hope he follows through.

yeah JB, my guess is that CSM meant what he wrote, racism and systemic injustice are pretty easy to condemn

You should have omitted the word systemic--it's not supported by verifiable facts/statistics. Racism exists, as does injustice. Try as you might, neither will ever be eradicated. You can't legislate away people's prejudices, but shining the light on those that harm others for no good reason other than the color of their skin is worth the effort, provided it's done lawfully. All bigots should be condemned. That truth cuts both ways.
worth reading. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/09/18/theres-overwhelming-evidence-that-the-criminal-justice-system-is-racist-heres-the-proof/
You need to provide an article that is not locked (unless you subscribe).

Eurozona

Quote from: Johnny-bravo on June 09, 2020, 08:53:21 PM

This is unrealistic and unreasonable. How can law enforcement protect and serve their community without imposing order, especially in a country as heavily armed as the US. Annually, there are roughly 50-60,000 police encounters and 10,000 arrests. There are going to be times where an officer will have to impose/force order.

Eurozona

Too late. You already mentioned you agree with the statement and hopes he follows through. Follows through with wht exactly?
The country was undivided in it's condemnation of the evil cop that killed GFloyd; then liberal elites, the media, universities, Hollywood, BLM and Antifa hijacked a good cause to assume more control over the system and the minority communities. Now they want to defund the police, which will undoubtedly hurt the inner city communities they proclaim they want to help.
[/quote]I'm not going to take the bait to politicize the forum further other than to say that I disagree with you and  I am sorry if you really can't see that there are systemic problems with policing practices that need to be addressed. Yes some bad people opportunistically rioted and looted but most of us are not Allowing the, to hijack this moment.  Btw, Antifa doesn't exist as an entity.  Don't believe everything you hear on Fox News or Trump's tweets.
[/quote]
What do you think Antifa is?

DefinitelyNotWiid

you would think there would be more intelligent insights and retorts than this, I thought we had smarter and better fans than this.

ichi

QuoteThe country was undivided in it's condemnation of the evil cop that killed GFloyd;

simply not true, many stepped in immediately to defend the actions of the cops, powerful unions pushed back instantly and have kept at it since

QuoteNow they want to defund the police, which will undoubtedly hurt the inner city communities they proclaim they want to help.

many inner cities could not be less well served than they are, and maintaining the status quo doesn't seem to help

most Americans support the idea that we ask too much of our law enforcement already, we throw them all of society's problems that no one else wants, and in doing so we put them in danger and because they are , in many cases, not the right tool for the job they serve their community less effectively

deflect, attack, side-step, do anything you can to divert attention from the real issues and focus on something else (except facts, you don't like facts)
"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat