Why did Tubelis get worse shooting the 3?

Started by WILD, March 27, 2022, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

I thought he was going to be a big time 3 point threat. He shot a lot more 3's as a freshman at 31%. His percentage dropped to 26% this past season. Had he improved it would've opened things up for our entire team. The other teams backed way off of him clogging the middle daring him to shoot it. Thoughts?

KansasCityCats

By the end of the season, opponents were leaving him wide open at the top of the 3 point line. Even his mid range jumper has deteriorated. Hopefully he can get back on track and become the focal point off the offense next season.

arxpert

Same reason Pelle passed up on the opportunity to take a 3 toward the end of the game (I saw your cbox comment WILD). Not habitual of any of our players to even attempt them anymore while Kerr is playing. Coach doesn't take a hands on approach during games so that doesn't help either.

mvpreed2

I believe it was a confidence issue.
When he was playing more, he was more aggressive, inside and outside.

I noticed Larsson started to play more late in-game situations with certain line-ups.
Then, I noticed Tubelis would get subbed out much faster than he used to before the ankle injury.
I am not saying his ankle wasn't 100%, but I believe he was over-thinking the game because he was worried about getting yanked.
Look at how quick he used to take that 3PT shot early in the season, and then look how long it would take him to shoot in the PAC-12/NCAA Tournament.
Something was not clicking with him down the stretch, and it slowed Arizona's offense with not having a Stretch PF that is 6'11 and can shoot it respectively from deep.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

WerderBremen

For me one of the major reasons for this year's percentage is his positioning on the court. The threes Zu made last year were pretty much all of them from the corner. Now this year in Lloyd's system he hardly ever ends up in that spot. The threes he takes are from anywhere but. The no-corner threes he missed last year as well.

On a side note, every single one of our players (but Terry) shot a worse percentage from three this year.....

Jdmarti

Not sure what happen exactly  wonder if it was confidence,  he was never great as freshman  but he shot it better an was not hesitant  on the shot.

I would also say under Miller  he had a pretty good mid range jumper   that alot of his offense  came from  this year alot of his baskets were inside.

Hopefully  azulous  improves his shot next year.

KansasCityCats

When Miller was in charge, opponents primarily played zone against us, which is the reason Tubelis had so many open looks from mid range.

We ran more with Lloyd at the helm so he was left open as defenders scrambled to keep up with our pace.

Hopefully he can have Im his back to the basket next year and diversify his shot selection.

arxpert

I think Tubelis' game looks a lot like Jokic in style. He can be a great facilitator inside the arc and around the FT line/elbow. He's able to pass from there, fake and take it to the rack, pop a shot. Deceptively very athletic. Can't see any way he doesn't dramatically improve.