Devonaire Doutrive has been kicked off the Arizona basketball team!

Started by WILD, November 22, 2019, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquidated

QuoteI'm sad to see Devonaire get bounced.

Sounds like he did that himself. I do not trust Miller, and I think once you are on his bd side, there is no recovery....but I also think he is very clear and upfront about expectations.

QuoteHe committed to miller when the Arizona name was being drug thru the mud. How was he rewarded for that?

He was rewarded with a scholarship and a chance to play the game that he (theoretically) loves at the highest level. 

QuoteBy promptly given a backseat to someone we all know he was better than.

Who? The guys who scored more and were more reliable wit the ball and better decision makers? Because that is literally every scholarship guard on the team.

QuoteMiller's proclivity to favor upperclassmen can lead to resentment, esp in an immature frosh.

This is almost unoiversally true of most college BB coaches. Lute was even worse on that score.

QuoteLast years team was the worst Zona team in 35+ years, DD shoulda been getting much more playing time, and imo, starting.

Who would you have benched? You may recall that Randolph was averaging 18 ppg early on. Williams was better, too... although not much.

QuoteNot saying Doutrive didn't screw up, but maybe it's not always all the kids fault.

Almost always a 2 way street...Deron Johnson and Lute, many others...sometimes its just not the right fit and not really anyone's fault.

QuoteAnd when are we gonna quit blaming the endless drama every season on bad luck and happenstance?

I don't blame any of it on bad luck nor happenstance. The bad things happening to this program are the result of a horrible culture of corruption and and a stubborn unwillingness to learn anything new as a coach on the part of Miller. It all flows from his rotting soul. I am hoping others come around on that point...sooner or later most will  figure out that losing to Buffalo or missing the tournament is a result of stubborn stupidity in coaching, lame recruiting and a rotting from the inside-out culture.   

Now this particular indecent is to be expected and I do not fault Miller for it...these things happen.

Lately I've come to expect bad news - and that's a problem.
"How does this guy still have his job?! That makes no sense...the world is getting nuked around him and Sean Miller is still there..."  - Mark Titus

KansasCityCats

Miller gave DD the gold jersey on multiple occasions. There wasn't resentment...he was trying to push him I to working harder.

I appeared to work, but there's obviously a dialogue behind the scenes that led to the dismissal. I'm sure the drama will slip out at some point.

Eurozona

Quote from: Liquidated on November 23, 2019, 11:24:27 AM
Quote from: PacSouthwest on November 23, 2019, 10:54:34 AM
Quote from: Naterade on November 22, 2019, 02:49:22 PM
I hope he learns from whatever he did, but I can't say that I'm too disappointed as a fan. Seems like we have plenty of talent without him. The way Baker and Hazzard have been playing, didn't look like he was going to get much of a chance to play a lot of minutes.
Agree with Baker, but not Hazzard. Per game, he is averaging less than 2 3-pointers, 1.6 rebounds, 2.6 assists and can't get to the FT line (2 FTM). DD is better across the board than Hazzard and its not close. The gap is bigger on defense.

2.6 assists in 17.4 minutes? Per 40 thats 4th in the conference. He's a 3rd string player.

He also has 13.0 Assist to T/O ratio!!! That is #1 in the country.

That is off the charts, dude. 

There is no comparison...Hazzard's savvy and experience far outweighs DD's potential.

What you are looking for is a super athletic, lottery pick type scorer... Doutrive is not even close to that and never will be.
It doesn't work like that or the 10th man on the bench would be playing 35 minutes.
Just watch the games.