Devonaire Doutrive has been kicked off the Arizona basketball team!

Started by WILD, November 22, 2019, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WerderBremen

Could you possibly consider writing "and" correctly and using full stops to finish your sentences? Just a little more effort on your end would make your statements so much more readable.

WILD

Update - I'm being told the reason is Devonaire Doutrive's was dismissed from the team due to attitude and conduct detrimental to the team. I have no specific details at the moment.

Eurozona

I would have liked to shorten the bench's back-court players, but not with DD. Based on what I've seen the bench was already unreliable and just lost it's best overall player. Offensively, after Mannion and Zeke, this team is average. Without those 2 this team looks like last year, so when they are not on the floor due to foul trouble or substitution who can be relied on? Baker is a decent floor general and a streaky shooter, but DD is the only guy that can get his own shot, drive to the basket and set up his teammates. Anyone who thinks Hazzard can replace that is not paying attention to the games. He is a spot shooter that needs someone to set him up. He will never be able to get a shot for himself in the lane. Plus, he's a liability on defense. Smith is Smith; nobody likes his game.  Mannion is going to have to play 35+ minutes, but we know that wont happen due to fouls and freshman fatigue.

Eurozona

Quote from: WILDcatAZfan on November 23, 2019, 10:32:56 AM
Update - I'm being told the reason is Devonaire Doutrive's was dismissed from the team due to his attitude and conduct being detrimental to the team. I have no other specific details at the moment.
Don't blame him. No way Hazzard and Smith should be getting more minutes than DD. That could have changed, but obviously Miller never explained that to him.

KansasCityCats

Hazzard and Smith are both Seniors that don't play "out of control". They are lesser athletes but their shooting is more consistent from the perimeter.

BTW, Hazzard has the same MPG as DD. If Doutrive didn't earn the suspension, he would have likely played more than both of them thus far.

Eurozona

Quote from: Naterade on November 22, 2019, 02:49:22 PM
I hope he learns from whatever he did, but I can't say that I'm too disappointed as a fan. Seems like we have plenty of talent without him. The way Baker and Hazzard have been playing, didn't look like he was going to get much of a chance to play a lot of minutes.
Agree with Baker, but not Hazzard. Per game, he is averaging less than 2 3-pointers, 1.6 rebounds, 2.6 assists and can't get to the FT line (2 FTM). DD is better across the board than Hazzard and its not close. The gap is bigger on defense.

Eurozona

Wow, the amount of broken ankles from jumping off the DD train is incredible; and its only due to him not being on the team anymore. I'd like to see more honest assessment, rather than just "good riddance". DD was good and everyone thought he was going to start or be the first player off the bench and for good reason. So, anyone who says this does not hurt the quality of this team are not being realistic.
Now it's not like we were losing a starter. As long as Mannion and Zeke are playing this team is fine. But, I am worried that Hazzard and Smith are primarily getting those minutes, because the team gets worse with those guys on the floor.

jumpinjohnny

If a doctor informs you that you have lung cancer, but that it's been caught early on in the game, what do you do--try to rationalize reasons for not taking immediate action? The wise man says, "Cut it out of me, Doc."

I'm sure most of you get the analogy. Miller, like the fictional cancer patient, didn't have a choice. Regardless of the outcome, it was the proper time to take fast, decisive action.

Liquidated

Quote from: PacSouthwest on November 23, 2019, 10:54:34 AM
Quote from: Naterade on November 22, 2019, 02:49:22 PM
I hope he learns from whatever he did, but I can't say that I'm too disappointed as a fan. Seems like we have plenty of talent without him. The way Baker and Hazzard have been playing, didn't look like he was going to get much of a chance to play a lot of minutes.
Agree with Baker, but not Hazzard. Per game, he is averaging less than 2 3-pointers, 1.6 rebounds, 2.6 assists and can't get to the FT line (2 FTM). DD is better across the board than Hazzard and its not close. The gap is bigger on defense.

2.6 assists in 17.4 minutes? Per 40 thats 4th in the conference. He's a 3rd string player.

He also has 13.0 Assist to T/O ratio!!! That is #1 in the country.

That is off the charts, dude. 

There is no comparison...Hazzard's savvy and experience far outweighs DD's potential.

What you are looking for is a super athletic, lottery pick type scorer... Doutrive is not even close to that and never will be.
"How does this guy still have his job?! That makes no sense...the world is getting nuked around him and Sean Miller is still there..."  - Mark Titus

KansasCityCats

I'm devastated that he's gone because I wanted him to play a huge role over the next two seasons. This year's team doesn't "need" him, but DD would have been a huge addition.

Our current team is better than a guy that takes 4 steps back to shoot a 3 pointer, rather than pass to an open man.