Brandon Williams will not play on the team this year

Started by WILD, June 16, 2019, 05:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZCatMom

Seems so odd after he came back to us last year. Hope all is well with him, loved watching him play.

jumpinjohnny

Quote from: mvpreed2 on June 16, 2019, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: jumpinjohnny on June 16, 2019, 06:39:32 PM
It is what it is--next up
I don't believe that is the stance we should take Johnny.

Yes we are fans and we want to win at the highest level, but some of these kids DREAMED about playing college basketball with hopes of making it to the NBA.
These players/coaches and their friends and family read this.
I don't want this to be the perception of Arizona fans and how we view our players.
(Yes I have said some VERY hurtful things about players on this site as well which I clearly wish I had not.)

Brandon, whatever the situation is, I thank you for the hard work and dedication you put into this program.
I hope to see you return in 2020-21, but if this is the last time we see in an Arizona uniform, it was a wild ride and you gave it all you had.
Thank you!

Mine isn't so much a stance as it is venting. I'm close to saying the hell with college basketball. I don't care, even in the slightest, about the NBA, so the fact that the primary goal of a large percentage of the kids coming out of high school is to play professionally, serves them well, but leaves fans like me holding the bag, wondering why I should care about the next crop of mercenaries. All good things come to an end and that end for me seems like it may be right around the corner. A stiff penalty by the NCAA could be the tipping point.

AZip

Quote from: Seansbiggestfan on June 16, 2019, 07:48:54 PM
Seems so odd after he came back to us last year. Hope all is well with him, loved watching him play.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Latest I heard was his knees...but why leave...where and what will he go and do?? Especially since he would be on a really good team. And Jason..why did you take my post down about the injury in an earlier post??
A Z i p

TBOG

Quote from: AZip on June 17, 2019, 05:14:31 AM
Quote from: Seansbiggestfan on June 16, 2019, 07:48:54 PM
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Latest I heard was his knees...but why leave...where and what will he go and do?? Especially since he would be on a really good team. And Jason..why did you take my post down about the injury in an earlier post??

Jason??  Dude...wrong website.

Bkatt

I was thinking about the debate between arxpert and hamster from last night. Is this a net gain or net loss to the team that Brandon Williams (Bwill) will not be playing on this year's team. It all depends on how two people develop and gel on next years team. The two I am talking about (and will be receiving the most minutes from the loss of Bwill) are Terry Armstrong and Max Hazzard.

Prior to all this, I have been analyzing the minutes distribution numbers for next year. I came to two conclusions; there seemed to be a log-jam of minutes at the 2-scoring guard and I had calculated insufficient minutes for both Terry Armstrong and Max Hazzard (particularly Terry A.)

How Bwill compares to Terry A and Max H:
On the plus side, Terry Armstrong is 6'6" and more athletic than Bwill. On the negative side, Bwill had one year of experience.

In regards to Max Hazzard, on the plus side Max is a 3pt shooting expert (93 out of 240@38.7%) who played mostly the 2-scoring guard for UC Irvine. On the negative side, Bwill may have been the better option to back-up Nico at the point for 8 to 10 minutes. That last statement is a speculation on my part.

Is this a net gain or net loss to the team that Brandon Williams (Bwill) will not be playing on this year's team? In a nutshell, like I said it "all depends."

Bob A

Is Williams 'not playing next year' or is he leaving the team?  Does he just need another season to rehab his injury?  It seems rather late in the game to be entering the 'transfer portal.'

Jdmarti

A zip mean jason from wildcat authority I figured that's who you meant I wonder if it a retirement.

Blafresh

Ah man, he gave his heart and trust to us - why leave now?. Despite being a little small, I thought he was one of the shining lights in a dark season last year..

The only logical reason is due to injury. Why would he not want to compete on a team with all the pieces for a deep run? Hope he is okay - wish nothing but the best for the kid.

KansasCityCats

My assumption is that we will get more info regarding B-Will's situation in the near future.

Hoping that he (and his family) is OK...

arxpert

Quote from: Bkatt on June 17, 2019, 06:06:05 AM
I was thinking about the debate between arxpert and hamster from last night. Is this a net gain or net loss to the team that Brandon Williams (Bwill) will not be playing on this year's team. It all depends on how two people develop and gel on next years team. The two I am talking about (and will be receiving the most minutes from the loss of Bwill) are Terry Armstrong and Max Hazzard.

Prior to all this, I have been analyzing the minutes distribution numbers for next year. I came to two conclusions; there seemed to be a log-jam of minutes at the 2-scoring guard and I had calculated insufficient minutes for both Terry Armstrong and Max Hazzard (particularly Terry A.)

How Bwill compares to Terry A and Max H:
On the plus side, Terry Armstrong is 6'6" and more athletic than Bwill. On the negative side, Bwill had one year of experience.

In regards to Max Hazzard, on the plus side Max is a 3pt shooting expert (93 out of 240@38.7%) who played mostly the 2-scoring guard for UC Irvine. On the negative side, Bwill may have been the better option to back-up Nico at the point for 8 to 10 minutes. That last statement is a speculation on my part.

Is this a net gain or net loss to the team that Brandon Williams (Bwill) will not be playing on this year's team? In a nutshell, like I said it "all depends."

This is a good way to look at the situation. I lean to the side that its a net-positive. I don't think a 100% healthy Brandon Williams came to Arizona to be a backup guard. I'll always have respect for him coming to UofA amidst the storm ESPN caused. I also keep in mind that he also sat out a lot of games last year hurt and was coming in and out of the lineup way too much.

We brought in the Ferrari's we need to use them while they are here. I would rather not have to force playing time at the guard position. Nico is not Lonzo Ball. He can really score big points. Not sure if everyone realizes that.