Word is that an Arizona basketball player may leave due to personal reasons

Started by WILD, June 07, 2019, 03:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iowajake

My /guess/ is Barcello (who is behind BWill, Nico & Hazzard on the depth chart) or Smith

Jdmarti

I sure hope it's not b will he is one of my favorite players an I think he will have a big year.

MDcAtZ

Quote from: iowajake on June 08, 2019, 08:02:02 PM
My /guess/ is Barcello (who is behind BWill, Nico & Hazzard on the depth chart) or Smith

Barcello must know he's not going to see any playing time, so in reality, he wouldn't lose anything by sitting a RS year and making an impact on a mid-major.

eggdog

From all I've heard Barcello loves being a Wildcat and has a serious girlfriend here (check out his instagram) so it seems doubtful it's him or that he would leave for personal reasons. Even though it seems doubtful he'll play many meaningful minutes it would be nice to have a guy on the bench who is excited to be a part of the program and would be better for team chemistry than a player at the end of the bench who is upset about a lack of playing time - we're pretty deep next year and at minimum two or three guys probably won't see many minutes.
I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi

eel

Does the following scenario make any sense?  Barcello, who is an Arizona resident and eligible for in-state tuition, goes off scholarship for the year and remains on the team as a preferred walk-on. Since there are a lot of players at his position he red shirts this coming season. Next season he is put back on scholarship. If he winds up not seeing a lot of playing time in the season after taking a red shirt year, he could probably graduate and be a graduate transfer to a mid-major the following year.  This gives him the maximum opportunity to be a difference maker at Arizona and if it never pans out, have one good season at a mid-major.

Of course this does not fit as "personal reasons" but it could be a win-win for Arizona and Barcello. Going off scholarship for one academic year is not terribly expensive for in-state residents.

Little George

Quote from: eel on June 09, 2019, 04:24:16 PM
Does the following scenario make any sense?  Barcello, who is an Arizona resident and eligible for in-state tuition, goes off scholarship for the year and remains on the team as a preferred walk-on. Since there are a lot of players at his position he red shirts this coming season. Next season he is put back on scholarship. If he winds up not seeing a lot of playing time in the season after taking a red shirt year, he could probably graduate and be a graduate transfer to a mid-major the following year.  This gives him the maximum opportunity to be a difference maker at Arizona and if it never pans out, have one good season at a mid-major.

Of course this does not fit as "personal reasons" but it could be a win-win for Arizona and Barcello. Going off scholarship for one academic year is not terribly expensive for in-state residents.

Not happening

mvpreed2

Yes it makes sense, but you are essentially using a player as a pawn to manipulate the numbers.
Exactly how do you think AB would take to hearing this?
Or even better, what makes you think he would want to come back after you explain to him you are pulling is schollie to give to someone else AFTER you already brought him in as a scholarship player?

That is the type of move that sends shock waves to a lot of dominoes.
That affects your relationship with anyone close to the Barcellos.
Also with his HS coach, seeing how you handled one of his players.
Also with his AAU director/coach and more than likely the entire program.

Miller made a smaller mistake relatively in 2012 when he was recruiting Rosco Allen.
Anyone that knows the situation remembers that one...
Bottom line is every move has a domino effect and you would like for yours to be positive.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

Jdmarti

That's interesting I never heard what went down with Roscoe allen

Jdmarti

Yea I would expect that someone transfers an that creates the opening for Jordan brown

eel

Quote from: mvpreed2 on June 09, 2019, 06:55:23 PM

Yes it makes sense, but you are essentially using a player as a pawn to manipulate the numbers.
Exactly how do you think AB would take to hearing this?
Or even better, what makes you think he would want to come back after you explain to him you are pulling is schollie to give to someone else AFTER you already brought him in as a scholarship player?

That is the type of move that sends shock waves to a lot of dominoes.
That affects your relationship with anyone close to the Barcellos.
Also with his HS coach, seeing how you handled one of his players.
Also with his AAU director/coach and more than likely the entire program.

Miller made a smaller mistake relatively in 2012 when he was recruiting Rosco Allen.
Anyone that knows the situation remembers that one...
Bottom line is every move has a domino effect and you would like for yours to be positive.

OK, you have convinced me.  It would have to be a case of Barcello volunteering to do this and that probably would never happen.