Arizona basketball's non conference schedule is complete 👀

Started by WILD, May 30, 2019, 02:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDcAtZ

OOC Ranked Opponents Last Year:

Kansas: 4 ranked opponents (including ASU who later dropped out of the rankings).
Duke: 4 ranked opponents, including Texas Tech, which was unranked at the beginning of the season.
Virginia (National Champs): 2 ranked opponents, both not top-20.
Kentucky: 2 ranked opponents.
UNC: 4 ranked opponents that included UCLA, who later dropped out of the rankings.

Point is, only playing a couple or few ranked opponents in the OOC schedule isn't uncommon among the "blue bloods". We have one definite, two likely, possibly 3 ranked opponents in the OOC.

eggdog

Quote from: WildcatInUK on June 02, 2019, 01:18:11 PM
OOC Ranked Opponents Last Year:

Kansas: 4 ranked opponents (including ASU who later dropped out of the rankings).
Duke: 4 ranked opponents, including Texas Tech, which was unranked at the beginning of the season.
Virginia (National Champs): 2 ranked opponents, both not top-20.
Kentucky: 2 ranked opponents.
UNC: 4 ranked opponents that included UCLA, who later dropped out of the rankings.

Point is, only playing a couple or few ranked opponents in the OOC schedule isn't uncommon among the "blue bloods". We have one definite, two likely, possibly 3 ranked opponents in the OOC.

Our schedule is about as good as you'll see for an elite team these days, in terms of what we can actually control - I'm guessing several of the ranked opponents those teams played were part of classics/tournaments that they were invited to. If you have 90 seconds these guys do a good job breaking down what's going on with college basketball scheduling and they get in some football at the end which is having similar issues.

I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi

KansasCityCats

Exactly.  Unfortunately, "times change".  Every Wildcat fan (myself included) wants to see a home-and-home schedule full of UNC, Dook, Kentucky, Kansas, Sparty, etc.

Unless we're invited to the Champions Classic, it won't happen anytime soon...and we CANNOT be invited to the "ChampionS Classic" because we don't have multiple championships.  Even if the tournament is expanded into 8 teams, schools with ChampionS (not a single title) would be invited...like Louisville, UNC, UCLA, UCONN, Nova, etc.

Miller shouldn't settle for neutral games at MSG against Syracuse, when he could host a tournament team like NMSU at HOME for a better NET Ranking (and an additional game for fans in Tucson).

eggdog

Quote from: KansasCityCats on June 03, 2019, 07:33:36 AM
Miller shouldn't settle for neutral games at MSG against Syracuse, when he could host a tournament team like NMSU at HOME for a better NET Ranking (and an additional game for fans in Tucson).

According to Calipari he'd rather play in a neutral site in a place like MSG because he thinks it prepares his team better for the tourney - neutral site, huge arena. He thinks they lost one year in the final four because they hadn't played in a dome. I'm not sure Miller or other coaches believe the same but it makes some sense, though it sucks that schools can't get better home and home series any more.
I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi

MDcAtZ

Baylor is continuing to climb the rankings. Comes in at #7 in Goodman's ranking ... there's a legitimate chance we play two ... yes, (2), top 10 teams in the OOC schedule (Baylor and Gonzaga). Such a cupcake OOC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/stadium/status/1137799454705225728

eggdog

Nice - and we play them there on the road. Should be a tough game.

jumpinjohnny

I'd just like to add how pleasurable visiting this site has become since adding the Water Boy to my ignore list. Such a small price to pay for peace of mind. If you haven't already done so, try it--you may like it as much as I do.