Trier & Simmons make comments on twitter about college coaches

Started by WILD, May 14, 2019, 08:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquidated

Quote from: Jav on May 17, 2019, 03:09:48 PM
Miller runs a slower system and has more emphasis on offensive and defensive efficiency than total points.  You can argue the merits of the systems all you want, but comparing total PPG isn't a good barometer.  Points per possession is probably a better comparison, but I'm not sure what point is trying to be made anyway. 

Remember when people used to bitch about Olson's teams being too soft.  That they couldn't do well in the tournament where the refs let teams be physical?  Now we get to hear how Sean's teams are too big and don't play fast enough to win  ;D

This is my point more or less.

My contention is that Trier would have had significantly higher averages in an Olson type system.

Efficiency does matter... but an inefficient team with slightly lower shooting %'s that can routinely knock down 90 points, IMO is better than a more efficient team that struggles to hit 60. Not sure exactly where that line is, and defense is fine with me, I don't mind low scoring games, but IMO, a team needs to be bale to shift into higher gears and Miller has only 1 gear.

The other point is that many players expected to be one and dones come into Miller's system and it is a system that not a single NBA team uses any part of and they end up not drafted. Alkins, Ashley, Jarrett, Zeus, Trier....all considered one and dones or, at least, certain NBA draft picks...

"How does this guy still have his job?! That makes no sense...the world is getting nuked around him and Sean Miller is still there..."  - Mark Titus

Jdmarti

I think many of those guys for one reason or another weren't NBA players Ashley was good but was a kind of short zeus game did not translate to NBA modern days no offensive game he was old style center  grant je left way to soon before he was ready I think alkins lacked  height an consisted shooting but still has a chance  Trier had a bad image an known as a selfish  offensive player bad defender I do think he improved as a player from his time at Arizona.

eggdog

Quote from: Liquidated on May 18, 2019, 10:04:30 AM
The other point is that many players expected to be one and dones come into Miller's system and it is a system that not a single NBA team uses any part of and they end up not drafted. Alkins, Ashley, Jarrett, Zeus, Trier....all considered one and dones or, at least, certain NBA draft picks...

Zeus, Ashley and Jerrett were part of one of the worst recruiting classes of all time - Duke, Kansas and Kentucky's top ranked players coming in that year also didn't get drafted. You can see the class and where they were picked here - https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2012.html

Trier might not have gotten drafted but his time here paid off an it's looking like he'll be in the league for a long time and hopefully Rawle can work his way there, but I'm not sure he has the right size to play in the NBA with his skill set.

I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi

arxpert

Liquidated is just a Sean Miller hater. Pretty sure almost every player listed with 16ppg+ was a PG, SG, or SF on the small side. You can't compare eras, but I am curious how many PF or C ever scored even 10ppg or more for Lute Olson. Sean Miller has been known to present a much more balanced attack on offense and featured numerous big's.

GoCatZ

Someone in here said they thought liquid was Trey Mason or someone related to the Mason's & he never denied it so...

mvpreed2

To be as short as possible, I can understand the premise of what Liquid is saying, but he is slightly off in his evidence.

Yes KS was a talent, but he wasn't playing out of position.
HE said that he wanted to play PG at the next level, and I believe that was a reason why it came down to Arizona & Ohio State.
AT didn't play out of position though.
He was 6'5 and was a gunner, or in 2K terms, a shot-creating playmaker.
He was always going to play SG because most of our SGs in the past have been gunners and Miller as has given them the green light (Johnson/Johnson/York/Trier).

As far as the defense goes, yes the PLD sucks, I don't like it, but it has been proven that it works if Miller has the right athletes (2013/2014/2018).
There isn't much more to say about it.

— BUT —

The one thing I can't begin to understand is how do you (Liquid) believe Simmons was the 4th best PURE talent we have ever had at Arizona?
What are your metrics? HS production? NBA potential?
Looking at past classes I can name roughly 6-8 prospects that we can debate were as good OR better than Simmons, HS/College/NBA doesn't matter, want to see?

Williams (2010)
Gordon (2013)
Hollis-Jefferson (2013)
Johnson (2014)
Trier (2015)
Anderson (2015)
Markkanen (2016)
Ayton (2017)
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

arxpert

Not a top 4 player at UofA all time (under Miller) by any means. Not even top 10.

KansasCityCats

He definitely had the top-4 ego. Wish he had the top-4 confidence in the court to go along with it.

dkdono

I wouldn't be surprised if it is Trey....He is/was attending law school at CU...I had a brief text interaction with him a year or so ago...he appeared to be very negative to the program....if he has passed the bar by now...I would expect to see him advertising locally on Judge Judy for clients....

eggdog

Quote from: dkdono on May 19, 2019, 01:21:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it is Trey....He is/was attending law school at CU...I had a brief text interaction with him a year or so ago...he appeared to be very negative to the program....if he has passed the bar by now...I would expect to see him advertising locally on Judge Judy for clients....

According to his twitter page he goes to ASU for law school, probably couldn't hack it at CU - and he definitely has it out for Miller, tweeting negative stuff about him during the trial.
I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi