Trier & Simmons make comments on twitter about college coaches

Started by WILD, May 14, 2019, 08:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Trier could just be talking about coaches in general, but it'll be taken as if he's talking about Miller. Boggles my mind as I thought he got to do whatever the hell he wanted his last 2 years. Simmons is definitely talking about Miller though. Thoughts?

Original tweet below
https://twitter.com/ISO_ZO/status/1128390208137846784

KansasCityCats

Those two guys were played out of position...because their position should have been on the bench.

If Kobi thinks he's a point guard, perhaps he should have learned to pass and handle the basketball during his time in Tucson.

Not sure how Miller held Trier back. His defensive efforts regressed, he took contested jumpers early in shotclocks, he was given the green light to lose games on his own when they "mattered" and he somehow earned minutes despite never going after rebounds as a lengthy "wing".

Keep crying. You both limited yourselves.

AZCatMom

Quote from: KansasCityCats on May 15, 2019, 12:02:47 AM
Those two guys were played out of position...because their position should have been on the bench.

If Kobi thinks he's a point guard, perhaps he should have learned to pass and handle the basketball during his time in Tucson.

Not sure how Miller held Trier back. His defensive efforts regressed, he took contested jumpers early in shotclocks, he was given the green light to lose games on his own when they "mattered" and he somehow earned minutes despite never going after rebounds as a lengthy "wing".

Keep crying. You both limited yourselves.

Not to mention that without playing at a program the caliber of Arizona and Miller's connections, they probably wouldn't have received the chances they got to get to the NBA. 

arxpert

Re: Kobi Simmons - Very simple. He should have never committed to UofA. We had so much talent at once there was just no room for him. Justin Simon left and went to St. Johns and was a defensive player of the year for his conference I believe and one of the better players overall in his conference. He should have just transferred out to another school instead of going pro. He sounds bitter now that he's been in the real world playing blue collar ball and isn't in the NBA. That's totally his fault. Maybe he could become a NBA player if he works on his game as he gets older, but the problem is every year there are 15 more Kobi Simmons' added to the G League and directly compete with his skill level. NBA teams will always look at the younger player first. Brandon Ashley was one of the best G League players for a while and he never got a shot in the pros. The game just passes you by if you don't hit the ground running in the first year or 2 unfortunately.

RE: ALLONZO TRIER ----> Not sure what's going on there. He went undrafted I believe. Maybe it had to do with his character, maybe the PEDs. He was virtually James Harden for us. Always ball handling, getting to the line and he did the same thing for the Knicks this year. I think NBA teams made a mistake overlooking him. I wanted the Warriors to draft him so badly, but maybe they passed because he is so demanding of the ball. I don't think players like Trier or Harden can ever shine fully in college where its more of a team game. Harden got his stats, but the team was bad. Wildcats were an elite team while Trier was there so there was only so much he was able to do individually. It also didn't help that he wasn't a 45%+ 3pt shooter for how many dribbles he took on the perimeter. And of course his suspensions were bad. Again, another situation where Trier came to a college that boasted a lot of talent and egos that had to get theirs too.

PS - Not sure about the Out Of Position stuff. He was our SG and he dribbled as much as most PGs. Not sure if he thought of himself as a PG or SF, but he isn't anything like JJ Reddick with the run-around catch and shoot game and he wasn't able to (and didn't want to) guard any bigger athletic SFs so we had to play Rawle there. He also wasn't a passer. So if he thought PG was his position then his game is just selfish like Harden's and with that comment I'll continue to enjoy seeing his rise to all star level in the NBA.

So far Trier's game reminds me a lot of DeMar Derozen. Lots of 2's and lots of Free Throws thriving in the NBA.  Maybe he will end up like a solid Rodney Hood contributor. But he has proven he belongs in the NBA and I'm excited to see him get better and better.

Overall I understand where the players come from when they make their comments, but maybe they should start looking inward before projecting outward

Bear

I didn't take anything said as inaccurate nor bitter. All that stuff seems to be normal. But if they are bitter or regretful, they will grow and perspectives with them.

eggdog

I think too much is being made of this. Both players rep the UA to this day and Trier was given free reign to do whatever he wanted when he was here. All those points seem to apply more to Kevin Porter from USC but they could have other friends in this year's draft they're standing up for too. I know Trier and Porter were both from the same area but not sure they're close. Simmons might have a gripe but he always said he was a one and done and came to a team that was pretty stacked thinking he would be able to earn enough PT and he was given a shot when Trier was out but couldn't prove that he was worth keeping on the floor when Trier returned.
I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi

ichi

Yea, another molehill

I doubt Trier would admit his game is flawed enough to need an excuse like being held back, and looking back at his time here it appeared he wasn't, at the time everyone commented on what a free hand he had.  He might feels like he was played out of position.

Kobi, on the other hand, obviously had expectations that Arizona didn't meet.  Unfortunate, he could have made an impact.  He's an example of the differences between Lute's era and now.  Kobi might have played four years had he played back in the 80's 90's and been an impact player, but in the current atmosphere he's found a way to play somewhere oversees.
"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

01Cats

Highly doubt Zo was referencing Miller. CSM went above and beyond having Zo's back throughout his entire career. Miller prides himself on defense and even though Trier had almost zero defensive skills, he remained on the court and let him shoot whatever shots he wanted.

Kobi was playing extremely well while Trier was out for his suspension. Once Trier came back Kobi lost his spot and instead of fighting to earn minutes he sulked and pouted from what it looked like to me. Kobi May have felt like he was held back but is most likely a product of the AAU system where these kids are treated as Gods from their preteen years. If Kobi had applied himself and stayed a couple years there's no doubt in my mind he would have been a lottery pick. The dude was full of potential.

GoCatZ