Looks like 1 of the players in our 2019 class is reopening his recruitment

Started by WILD, May 02, 2019, 08:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tucsandman

Not sure if this is true or not. All 5 freshman coming have signed their LOI's. I think the only way this is true is if this recruit has already received a verbal ok to do so. It just hasn't been formally announced yet. I also think Boogie coming here would be odd unless there's another situation we haven't heard about yet (like BWill's knee still isn't doing well and his career may be coming to an end). Then, maybe BWill sticks around awhile like Ray Smith...finishes school and spends a little time as a student staff member of sorts.

Little George

I would think Terry would be starting at the two. Green at the three. Not an issue. Adding Boogie is a mistake if it costs us any of our current commits.

MDcAtZ

Quote from: Liquidated on May 02, 2019, 10:38:39 PM

You are either with us or you are against us. Sean Miller has proven he is against us.

Look at your karma idiot... nobody is with you.

Bear

Dont need Boogie. He is a contingency. Feel the same about Hazzard. If they get more than spot minutes, we are hurting. Armstrong on the other hand is vital and he shouldn't care less about Boogie or Hazzard.

Dav

"'I was totally amazed and shocked to be hired and released prior to one full year and without any year of recruiting."
- Ben Lindsey

cnfi12

Quote from: Liquidated on May 02, 2019, 10:38:39 PM
Quote from: Teamgame on May 02, 2019, 10:18:01 PM
Liquidated do you know your negativity is tiresome. Players and recruits read your constant bad mouthing, negative outlook regarding the MBB program it's harmful to the program. Maybe you should find another BB program to support and be happy. O

Not as tiresome as the B.S coming out of the AZ BB program. I bad mouth those who have destroyed an honorable program. I am negative towards those who keep hurting it. Frankly, you cannot support the criminal and unethical B.S. this program has engaged in and be a true AZ fan. You cannot support Miller and be an AZ BB fan, the two are now and will be forever mutually exclusive. Miller is a P.O.S. who has destroyed AZ BB and should have been fired when Book got arrested before he could do any more damage.

You are either with us or you are against us. Sean Miller has proven he is against us.
Sooo, you're "Helping" by badmouthing a program you love? Got It! And some people wonder why Stupid should be painful.

eggdog

Quote from: Bear on May 03, 2019, 01:06:51 PM
Dont need Boogie. He is a contingency. Feel the same about Hazzard. If they get more than spot minutes, we are hurting. Armstrong on the other hand is vital and he shouldn't care less about Boogie or Hazzard.

If it is Armstrong trying to get out of his commitment this is actually an upgrade at a position we need more help at as they're both listed as shooting guards though Boogie is more of a combo point/sg (TA is rated the 69th best freshmen, BE is 28th). Plus if you're already worried about playing time and being a prima donna chances are you're going to be bad for team chemistry next year with all the talent on our roster. If you're not here to get us to the final four go somewhere you can showcase yourself for the NBA.

With Nico, BWill and Barcello at point it would be nice to have another ballhandler and shooter. Hazzard could run the point too but I'm all for surrounding Nico with plenty of outside shooting options as he can really get into the paint and find the open man. BWill's health is a question mark and Barcello just hasn't shown he has what it takes to play major college basketball, but I love that he's staying and working his way into a role. If TA stays we're still golden but I guess it comes down to what you think we need next year. According to their 247 profiles I'd take Boogie though.

Boogie
Has average size for a point guard. Possesses quickness and slick ball handling. Can penetrate and make plays but greatest strength is shooting. Proficient from deep and in mid-range off the dribble and the catch. Capable of hounding the ball as an on-the-ball defender. Alert to snagging rebounds and quick to loose balls. All-around solid guard with NBA talent.

Armstrong
Great size and strength for a shooting guard. Not a quick twitch, explosive athlete but a powerful athlete. Handles ball well and can score in a variety of ways. Likes to shoot a fadeaway off one foot. Has size to guard up a position or two. Projects as a steady rebounder. Could develop into an NBA player.
I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi

mvpreed2

Eggdog, would be willing to pass on a 6'7 wing for ANOTHER 6'3 guard that won't even start?
Ellis is good, but I am taking Williams and Mannion over him.
So he would be the 3rd best combo guard on a team where the top two will play HEAVY minutes.

Now you have Armstrong, someone who isn't going to be asked to shine from day one, you give him minutes at SF, let him bulk up, get experience and expect him to step into the starting lineup in 2020 as a serious contributor.
You're willing to lose that for someone that is trying to be a OND, when you already have two on your roster?
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

eggdog

Quote from: mvpreed2 on May 05, 2019, 02:07:42 PM
Eggdog, would be willing to pass on a 6'7 wing for ANOTHER 6'3 guard that won't even start?
Ellis is good, but I am taking Williams and Mannion over him.
So he would be the 3rd best combo guard on a team where the top two will play HEAVY minutes.

Now you have Armstrong, someone who isn't going to be asked to shine from day one, you give him minutes at SF, let him bulk up, get experience and expect him to step into the starting lineup in 2020 as a serious contributor.
You're willing to lose that for someone that is trying to be a OND, when you already have two on your roster?

My hope is we land both, I'm not trying to diminish what Armstrong brings, but if I had to choose I'd go with another shooter/ballhandler. I would guess Mannion, BWill, Green, Ira and Chase start next year and I expect big things from Ira Lee next year after how he ended the season. DD is a solid option backing up Green and a great rebounder at that position and if you listen to what Miller and the recruits have been saying it sounds like we'll be going with more of a guard-oriented attack.

Here are a few notes from various articles:

"The way of playing moving forward for us is to have more wings and guards on the court at the same time, and have more spacing and quick movement," Miller said.

With the last three trips to the NCAA tournament ending to teams with double-digit seedings, Arizona was downed by smaller teams that killed them from three-point range while also being able to neutralize Arizona's dominant big men long enough to keep them out of rhythm offensively.

Miller now seems to understand this and is aiming to bring that same strategy to Arizona.

"When you get to the NCAA Tournament, having more shot-makers, more ball-handlers, more players that at the end of the clock can get their own shot, that's something that wins out," Miller said.

"That's what you do as a coach. You take inventory of how the game's changing," Miller said. "What are the things you can do better that you can control? Then you try to take advantage and make those changes."

"When we had maybe our best team that I have been a part of at Arizona, sometimes you don't realize how many minutes Gabe York, Nick Johnson, and TJ McConnell played together," Miller said.

"Looking back at that season, some of our best moments, when it was the moments of truth late in games, deep into the season, those three guys were on the court together. That is kind of the route we're moving, not only this year, but beyond."
I wish that I could be more like Dickie V, but I'm just not willing to cut off half my dick and tape it to my forehead - ichi