2024-25 Projected Roster

Started by KansasCityCats, January 29, 2024, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KansasCityCats

I was checking the week 13 polls (BTW, Arizona comes in at #11) and thought about how good we'll be AGAIN next season.  The Cats should have a ton of depth and a lot of young talent.

Graduating:
PG/SG - Caleb Love
Wing - Pelle Larsson
PF - Keshad Johnson
C - Oumar Ballo
(walk-on) Grant Weitman
(walk-on) Luke Champion

Starters:
PG - Kylan Boswell (JR)
SG - Jaden Bradley (JR)
Wing - KJ Lewis (SO)
PF - Carter Bryant (FR)
C - Motiejus Krivas (SO)

Bench:
PG - Jamari Phillips (FR)
PG - Conrad Martinez (SO)
Wing - Filip Borovicanin (JR)
SF/PF - Paulius Marauskas (SO)
PF/C - Henri Veesaar (SO-RS)
C - Dylan Anderson (JR)
C - Emmanuel Stephen (FR)

Walk-ons:
SG - Jackson Cook (SO)
SG - Will Kuykendall (SO)
PF - Will Menaugh (SR)

We only have ONE available scholarship next season.  In theory, ALL 12 projected scholarship players could return in 2025-26.  Obviously, things will change between now and then.  Boswell may go pro early and somebody always tends to transfer in today's culture.

My assumption is that Lloyd may bring in a defensive-minded SG as a grad transfer during the offseason, especially if Boswell opts to leave early. 

Regardless, our starting lineup will be deadly and we have backups at every position that could start for any D-1 program. 

UAlum

I just recently saw a short interview with Joson Sanon, a 2025 recruit, who basically said he is going to reclassify to 2024. Another athletic scoring wing who would be a great last scholarship player for a killer team. He was just on campus in the last couple weeks visiting too

AztecWildcat

Unless Jaden and KJ get a better jumper over the summer that's going to be an nightmare on offense. Teams will just dare us to shoot and pack the paint. I'd almost rather play Carter at the 3 and Krivas at the 4.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 29, 2024, 01:12:14 PMI was checking the week 13 polls (BTW, Arizona comes in at #11) and thought about how good we'll be AGAIN next season.  The Cats should have a ton of depth and a lot of young talent.

Graduating:
PG/SG - Caleb Love
Wing - Pelle Larsson
PF - Keshad Johnson
C - Oumar Ballo
(walk-on) Grant Weitman
(walk-on) Luke Champion

Starters:
PG - Kylan Boswell (JR)
SG - Jaden Bradley (JR)
Wing - KJ Lewis (SO)
PF - Carter Bryant (FR)
C - Motiejus Krivas (SO)

Bench:
Wing - Filip Borovicanin (JR)
SF/PF - Paulius Marauskas (SO)
C - Dylan Anderson (JR)

Walk-ons:
SG - Jackson Cook (SO)
PF - Will Menaugh (SR)

We only have ONE available scholarship next season.  In theory, ALL 12 projected scholarship players could return in 2025-26.  Obviously, things will change between now and then.  Boswell may go pro early and somebody always tends to transfer in today's culture.

My assumption is that Lloyd may bring in a defensive-minded SG as a grad transfer during the offseason, especially if Boswell opts to leave early. 

Regardless, our starting lineup will be deadly and we have backups at every position that could start for any D-1 program. 

Good post, but way too early. Not opposed to a thought experiment though.

I have a tough time seeing how we will have a good enough roster to be a Top 15 Team next season unless Carter Bryant is a Dominant Superstar. If there ever was a cause for concern preseason about expectations, next season would be the season to really think that we won't be a threat.

Can't see Henri and Dylan both being here next season if Krivas is here.

Not sure if there is any actual news around Boswell outside of my Real Talk thread. Just seeing people starting to post videos asking what is going on with him (influencer channels). I don't watch the videos though. I think they are late to the party when it comes to the subject.

Boswell should stay and try to be the heart of the team, but if there is something going on behind the scenes or maybe a rift, Tommy could cut him loose if he doesn't go pro (not pay him to stay). Tommy has shown he doesn't care who is here, he will bring in Transfers. Something that the Penguin Sean Miller excelled in. They are not that much different as Coaches systems aside. Miller is/was just old enough and experienced enough to not care about pissing off players by benching them or not playing them as much as they want (Kobi Simmons?).

I am going to struggle to see why Boro or Paulius would want to be on the team if they aren't going to play much.

If Carter Bryant is the truth, then Tommy can't assimilate his game into any system. One and Done level Superstars have to be able to shine or there's no point in bringing them in.

I think Boswell will be gone, but I'll provide a lineup with him and without him and I am serious about Defined Roles.

With Boswell, I do not want to see him play anymore PG. Bradley is not a SG. He is a ball handler. He needs to play PG. Boswell can do it all, but he needs to be off the ball next season as we won't have Love, Pelle, etc who are stronger from 3. Boswell will be the guy taking the 3s with Henri. That's not a good formula.

I cannot see why Dylan would stay here if he isn't promised 20-25min per game automatically. He deserves his chance. Doesn't seem like he will get it with us.

PG Bradley
SG Boswell
SF KJ Lewis
PF Carter Bryant
PF Henri

Phillips
Krivas
Dylan

Boro
Paulius
Conrad

Stephen is the interesting player here. Is he going to show up and be a very useful PF? Or is he going to get stuck behind everyone else and have to red shirt?

This team will be missing stalwart defense. Almost exclusively. Tommy will need to find a pure Junkyard Dog transfer that can play immediately if we want to stand any chance. A role player, not someone who needs the ball. Just an enforcer. Maybe this can be Stephen if he shows up Ready.

--------------

Without Boswell

Bradley
KJ Lewis
Carter Bryant
Henri
Krivas

Phillips (really depends on what he shows up as and if Tommy decides to not be like Miller and play the seniority card)
Dylan Anderson (no clue why he would want to come off the bench at all)

Paulius
Boro
Conrad
---> All 3 don't even make sense to get minutes. I think Boro and Paulius don't really belong.

E-Man Stephen again. Can he anchor a defensive unit? No idea. I don't know how Tommy expects to have 4 6'10-7'1" players and use them all.

Without Boswell, we will have a severe lack of leadership and experience. I think Tommy would need to hit the portal hard and bring in at least 2 players and again usurp and divide the locker room as he has by bringing in Love and Keshad.

This will be the Big12. We can't play patty cake up tempo ball and expect to be successful.

If we can retain Boswell and he improves, then we would have just barely enough Guard Depth, but would maybe need to find at least 1 true experienced Portal PG who will come to be a floor general only, so we can consider using Carter at the 3 at times.

I would like to see a universe where we just get it done this season and worry about fitting into the rough and tumble Big12 later, as Champions.

|ᴘ|ʀ|ʏ|ᴍ|ᴇ|

Carter Bryant should primarily play SF and occasionally play PF, not the other way around. I hope Tom knows this.

KansasCityCats

I realistically "assume" that Boswell will test the waters and ONE of Dylan/Henri/Paulius/Boro will transfer.

With both Pelle and Keshad leaving, there are a lot of available minutes for Bryant plus Paulius and/or Boro to step in.

I think Henri is embracing the injury/recovery redshirt so he can contribute. Dylan also knows that his time is coming but he obviously had to wait for Ballo to graduate.

When backfilling the last two scholarships (due to transfer/draft), Lloyd will likely bring in one grad transfer and one international player.

It should be interesting because I think everybody has the ability to start, even Phillips at the point (who is heavily underrated).

WerderBremen

I know this more than likely won't happen. But in theory Pelle, Ballo and Love could come back.

Only one leaving for sure is Keshad.

arxpert

Quote from: WerderBremen on January 30, 2024, 07:42:54 AMI know this more than likely won't happen. But in theory Pelle, Ballo and Love could come back.

Only one leaving for sure is Keshad.

How/Why is this the case regarding Love, Pelle, and Ballo?

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 30, 2024, 06:24:55 AMI realistically "assume" that Boswell will test the waters and ONE of Dylan/Henri/Paulius/Boro will transfer.

With both Pelle and Keshad leaving, there are a lot of available minutes for Bryant plus Paulius and/or Boro to step in.

I think Henri is embracing the injury/recovery redshirt so he can contribute. Dylan also knows that his time is coming but he obviously had to wait for Ballo to graduate.

When backfilling the last two scholarships (due to transfer/draft), Lloyd will likely bring in one grad transfer and one international player.

It should be interesting because I think everybody has the ability to start, even Phillips at the point (who is heavily underrated).

KJ Lewis came ready to play. I think Phillips will as well. Not that they have any scientific reason to be compared, but I just look at Phillips game as translating.

Only question is Tommy going to be like Miller and play the Seniority Card or is he going to put the best players for the job on the court.

I don't think Tommy will forcefully take an international recruit on unless he can't strike a deal with any Grad Transfer types to help immediately. I like what he did with Keshad and Love this year, but I also think they both took over the identity of the team which Tommy probably didn't expect to happen. Probably on Boswell, Pelle, and Ballo to not assert themselves - But when the guys that were here already are the ones who struggle the most, then it is no uncommon to see Veterans say "enough already" and takeover.

lsg_da_apache

I can go along with this lineup, but it would be nice to fill the last scholy with a contributor. But man we lucked out on getting Love, as I thought that he would only chuck up 3's. But I was wrong, as his mid range and transistion game is unreal!

Or get one of the 3 that KCC mentioned to come back.

KansasCityCats

I think Werder is referencing the COVID year. All players are eligible for a 5th career season...and Keshad is the only Senior that exhausted that additional season. The other three could play again if they wanted to come back.

arxpert

Quote from: KansasCityCats on January 30, 2024, 03:34:42 PMI think Werder is referencing the COVID year. All players are eligible for a 5th career season...and Keshad is the only Senior that exhausted that additional season. The other three could play again if they wanted to come back.

I guess I can see Love fielding offers to transfer if he tests the waters and isn't considered Pro level. I think he is. He reminds me of Jordan Clarkson with better defense.

Tommy surely has to send Ballo on his way. I can't see how he helps this team overall. Time for a change.

Pelle could make sense to use that Option. Not sure if Tommy would want him to though. He would be better for us than probably any experienced transfer if Love moves on.

KansasCityCats

Quote from: UAlum on January 29, 2024, 05:35:14 PMI just recently saw a short interview with Joson Sanon, a 2025 recruit, who basically said he is going to reclassify to 2024. Another athletic scoring wing who would be a great last scholarship player for a killer team. He was just on campus in the last couple weeks visiting too

You NAILED it!

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2024/3/20/24106819/arizona-wildcats-mens-basketball-recruiting-joson-sanon-vermont-uconn-kentucky-2025-reclassify-2024

Sanon is reclassifying and will add depth to our wing position.  Based on the recruiting videos...he's ready to contribute immediately.  Arizona will be dangerous with TWO KJ Lewis-ish players on the court.  Both guys possess the same ridiculous athleticism and hustle.  Sanon's shot may be a little more accurate but KJ's defense will stand out next season.

Can't wait to see how the roster pans out during the offseason.  Regardless, Arizona will be STACKED in 2024-25.

LeftCoastCats

Bradley (6'3)
KJ, (6'4)
Sanon (6'5)
Bryant (6'8 )
krivas (7'2)

Boswell???

Extended rotation:

Transfer (forward)
Phillips (wing)
Stephen (C)
Paulius (forward)
Henri (4/5)

The deep bench...

ChrisZona

Starters:
Bradley or Boswell
Philips
Lewis
Bryant
Transfer
Reserves:
Transfer G-if Bos or Bradley leave
Sanon
Krivas
Bench Warmers/Transfer out:
Stephen
Veesaar
Murauskas
Anderson
Martinez
Boro

KansasCityCats

With a few announcements, the roster is becoming a little clearer (although it will obviously change again within the next month:

Graduating:
PG/SG - Caleb Love
Wing - Pelle Larsson
PF - Keshad Johnson - Confirmed
C - Oumar Ballo - Confirmed
(walk-on) Grant Weitman - Confirmed
(walk-on) Luke Champion - Confirmed

Transfers:
PG - Kylan Boswell
Wing - Filip Borovicanin
SF/PF - Paulius Marauskas
C - Dylan Anderson

Starters:
PG - Jaden Bradley (JR)
Wing - Joson Sanon (FR)
Wing - KJ Lewis (SO)
SF/PF - Carter Bryant (FR)
C - Motiejus Krivas (SO)

Bench:

Walk-ons:
SG - Jackson Cook (SO)
PF - Will Menaugh (SR)

With 4 available scholarships, I assume that Lloyd will go after two transfers: one SG and one PF.  In addition, the staff will likely bring in an international recruit...then give a scholarship to Menaugh to fill the 13th spot.  We need another Keshod Johnson-ish defender that wouldn't take as many minutes away from our already talented 9-man roster. 

BearDownU - Menu